Most necessary civ color changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most necessary civ color changes?

When I first got Civ3, one of the first things I felt the need to do was to reassign the colors of virtually all civs. Germans > black, French > dk blue, Japanese > dk purple, Chinese > red, Zulus > green, English > orange (or were they already?). I was okay with a brown Russia, but they've ended up white (brown Greeks).

Anyone else have strong preferences about what civs get what color? I'm kind of curious where color conceptions come from.

IMO the most necessary change I made was to get rid of the French magenta, that awful light purple. I gave it to the barbarians.

Miznia
    I hate oral!!

well, I think they should look at history for those by we'd end up with the same color for different civs.

-France and Americans are supposed to be blue (almost the same in fact)
    -English and romans are supposed to be red.
    -Zulus should be White (I'm not joking here)
    -Greeks are supposed to be light blue
    -Aztecs I dont know but The iroquois should be orange (color of the sun)
    -Egypt is definatly yellow.
    For the rest I dont know.

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

The Zulu need to be orange, not because of anything historical, just my favorite Civ and Color should be matched! Orange Impi look so cool!

Comment

China should be YELLOW or GOLDEN because that is teh imperial color.
        ==========================
        www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

China should be YELLOW or GOLDEN because that is the imperial color.
          ==========================
          www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

Russia should be RED - RED army....
            I don't conquer -
            I obliterate

Comment

I thought changing colors in the Editor caused problems with game CRASHING??

Anyway, French magenta is indeed HIDEOUS!!

Comment

I think the problems with color changes only happen if you choose some of the last 15 colors on the list. There is some workaround, and Firaxis said they'd fix this in the next patch, I believe.

Comment

Agreed, the pink French are horrible, The barbarians are pink in my games. But England should be red (I wonder why romans should be ? Any historical data for this one ?), France should be deep blue or white (color of the French monarchy). Blue Germany makes sense, since Germanic tribes were the only ones to make blue in the ancient times, while Greeks colored essientially with red.
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Uhm.. Hello?
                    Greeks=Pink
                    thats the way it was in civ1.. i miss my pink greeks!

Comment

Some of my color associations:

Chinese - Must be yellow! Like Dida said, their favorite color, with all that loess around.

English - Orange for earlier times, red for later.

Germans - Grey or black. Has to be a "modern" color for me since they unified right during the Industrial Revolution.

Rome - Red, like the shields and capes

Russians - Grey or black. I tend to think of them as the Russian Empire, not the USSR, so no red for me.

Egypt - Yellow for all that gold, and the sand and pyramids are kind of yellowy too

Aztecs - Green for the jade / feathers, orange for the jaguar fur, or yellow for the ... gold or something
                      Good = Love, Love = Good
                      Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

Barbarians... Grey. They're so blah.
                        Rome... Imperial Purple of course!
                        USA... Dark Blue, natch.
                        France... Pink. They look really good in it.
                        Russia... Dark Green, because their regiments were dark green in System7 Napoleonics.
                        Egypt... Desert Tan anyone?
                        Greece... Light Blue. Seems to be important to them.
                        China... Light Purple/Mauve. Almost Imperial.
                        Japan... White. The colour of many Chrysanthemums. As per the throne.
                        Germany... Black suits the predominant sentiments of the 19th century. Cult of death and all that stuff.
                        Aztecs... Medium Green. Like the jungle. And because they can't be dark green. The Russians are.
                        Iroquois... Light Green. Growth, nature. You know, all that living in harmony stuff.
                        India... Peacock Blue, as in the Peacock throne.
                        Zulu... Yellow. At least it's one of the colours of many African flags
                        Babylon. Brown. Gotta go somewhere.
                        Persia... Teal. Ditto this colour has to go somewhere.
                        Britain... I could allow them Crimson (Dark Red) because...
                        Canada... Red (Scarlet). We own it. We own hockey. We own you all. Hahahaha.

Salve, eh!
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I have no prefences for that. To be hornest I don't think any country should be assigned to a color, I would prefer to have random color for each civ. Only the babarians should keep one color!!!
                          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

I think its quite cool to see the edge of a border and you instantly know that you have the Chinese (or whomever) as a neighbo(u)r...

Comment

ADG : I have no prefences for that. To be hornest I don't think any country should be assigned to a color, I would prefer to have random color for each civ. Only the babarians should keep one color!!!
                              No, that would suck. That's how it is in CTP2. It makes you feel like there's nothing distinct about any of your opponents. The player color is determined by what player slot it is, additionally, so the set of colors you get is always the same, and the human player is always dk blue.

And also, I hated the pink countries in Civ1; I was happy it was changed to orange. I wasn't as happy about grey going to purple, though. I wish we could've had both, and maybe gotten rid of that unreadable dark blue.

A more complete listing of mine

Americans: lt cyan (it makes them look inexperienced and not very intimidating)
                              Indians: grey (as in Civ1)
                              British (formerly English): orange (as in Civ2, dunno why else tho)
                              French: dk blue (as in Col, Civ1/2)
                              Germans: black (they just gotta be black! like that cross symbol)
                              Zulus: lt green (as in Civ1/2...)
                              Italians (formerly Romans): dk green (flag)
                              Chinese: red (don't the women traditionally wear red?)
                              Japanese: dk purple
                              Koreans (formerly Persians): kind of indigo, dk blue-purple
                              Turks (formerly Egyptians): yellow (as in Diplomacy)
                              Russians: white (Diplomacy, Civ, surely lots of other games?)
                              Greeks: brown (I play Greeks as my customized civ, and our color is brown damnit)

the others I can't remember and don't care about.

Miznia
                              I hate oral!!

Comment

Working...
                              X