Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rothy
    Is Montreal in france?
    Good Lord, man, it used to be part of your Empire! It's still a part of the Commonwealth!

Is it in France? Sheesh....

Comment

I'm not sure I'd propose magic or necromancy as the explanation for the regeneration of unit HPs. I'd rather rely on the concepts of natural healing and replacements.

When a unit suffers "casualties", as used in military terms, some of its members are killed, wounded or lost in battle. In most cases, the number killed and lost is much smaller than wounded, usually about a quarter of the total number. In the battle for Iwo Jima, for example, the total number of US casualties was around 28,000; of this figure 6,821 were killed. Some of the wounded will be permanently disabled, but many will be able to return to combat within days or weeks. This is the “healing” aspect of a unit; when taken off the line for “R&R” it will naturally recover a percentage of its personnel who were missing or wounded.

Units that suffer permanent casualties are almost always given replacements to bring them back up to full strength unless there are no replacements available or the unit is dropped from the rolls. (As an aside, during WWII Hitler forbade any unit to be dropped from the rolls; after the German 6th Army was destroyed during the battle for Stalingrad, he ordered it be entirely reconstituted in Germany with new personnel and equipment.) Admittedly, this takes time and treasure to do, but I for one am glad that the game simplifies this in the abstract “time heals all wounds” way that it does. It does a pretty decent job, too. IRL, it takes a lot longer to get replacements to a unit in the field than in garrison, so I think the game does a good job of incorporating the ability of Barracks to speed the repair/refit/replace functions to get the units back up to fighting strength faster (all HP/turn vice 1/turn in the field).

Comment

Originally posted by Barchan
        I'm not sure I'd propose magic or necromancy as the explanation for the regeneration of unit HPs. I'd rather rely on the concepts of natural healing and replacements.

When a unit suffers "casualties", as used in military terms, some of its members are killed, wounded or lost in battle. In most cases, the number killed and lost is much smaller than wounded, usually about a quarter of the total number. In the battle for Iwo Jima, for example, the total number of US casualties was around 28,000; of this figure 6,821 were killed. Some of the wounded will be permanently disabled, but many will be able to return to combat within days or weeks. This is the “healing” aspect of a unit; when taken off the line for “R&R” it will naturally recover a percentage of its personnel who were missing or wounded.

Units that suffer permanent casualties are almost always given replacements to bring them back up to full strength unless there are no replacements available or the unit is dropped from the rolls. (As an aside, during WWII Hitler forbade any unit to be dropped from the rolls; after the German 6th Army was destroyed during the battle for Stalingrad, he ordered it be entirely reconstituted in Germany with new personnel and equipment.) Admittedly, this takes time and treasure to do, but I for one am glad that the game simplifies this in the abstract “time heals all wounds” way that it does. It does a pretty decent job, too. IRL, it takes a lot longer to get replacements to a unit in the field than in garrison, so I think the game does a good job of incorporating the ability of Barracks to speed the repair/refit/replace functions to get the units back up to fighting strength faster (all HP/turn vice 1/turn in the field).
        Maybe the general concept goes correctly for general units (even if maybe it should take some time or something), but cavalry are just stunning.

And even then, it is only ONE of the effects of what I talked about in my general review. The problem is still the coherence.
        Last edited by Trifna; March 5, 2002, 12:45.
        Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

If I remember correctly, there is a small village in France called Montréal ...but that one is a "town" with no specific relations to the North Am "metropolis"...
          The art of mastering:"la Maîtrise des caprices du subconscient avant tout".

Comment

Working...
          X