FreeCiv Tools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FreeCiv Tools

Wouldn't it be nice if Firaxis went the way of Maxis and released tools for their game after the patching period is done.

Such as- new units, new color designs (this should be easy) for units, modification programs, development programs, etc.

for the game to encourage continued play and sales of the add-on packs

(it worked for the sims)

or, on their website host downloadable files like The Sims and RCT did.
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

I think there is a possibility that tools like this will be released in an exp pack like it was with civ2.

About the files: There are files downloadable from civ3.com
    At the moment just a few maps but it will surely be more after a while (mods...).

Comment

And here I was thinking this was a misposted thread...

I would applaud the release of such tools for Civ3 but I tend to see this in the context of Freeciv. Meaning, the source code should be available to anyone interested in improving. This makes a lot of sense for consumer because Firaxis/Infogrames will drop support the moment it becomes commercially unviable. The community would still be able to improve those tools.

But this is a trivial debate, as Firaxis probably couldn't even release the code if they wanted. Too many parties are involved to make this possible.

So why not focus on the real Freeciv instead? That civ community effort is truly open.
      Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Maps---> Good, but they really aren't as exciting as units.
        As for the source code- that is exactly what I was requesting, TVK

Oh and I knew about FreeCiv when I chose the title- I thought that I may attract some extra attention
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Working...
        X