Precision bombing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Precision bombing

Can someone please help me. I started a thread a while back with the same purpose, but i didnt really get much help. When I get precision weapons, and I click on the precision bombing botton and then click on a city to bomb it, my stealth bombers and fighters will carry out the same old regular bombing mission as they always have. I dont get any sort of prompt asking me what to bomb or anything. And yes I have all the current patches. So what's going on? How do i get this feature to work?

Re: Precision bombing

Originally posted by whosurdaddy
    Can someone please help me. I started a thread a while back with the same purpose, but i didnt really get much help. When I get precision weapons, and I click on the precision bombing botton and then click on a city to bomb it, my stealth bombers and fighters will carry out the same old regular bombing mission as they always have. I dont get any sort of prompt asking me what to bomb or anything. And yes I have all the current patches. So what's going on? How do i get this feature to work?
    You don't actually get to choose which improvement will be bombed. By choosing precision bombing, you assure that your bombers will target any building, and not people or military units.
    If no buildings remain in that city, then precision bombing will target people.
    I hope this is clear.

Comment

so, if you're intending to capture the city, what good is it?

why doesn't/can't precision bombing target military units and avoid collateral damage?

-edit-
      I'd like to keep the city improvements, thank you very much. Unless I plan on playing world destroyer and just razing everything to the ground, this strikes me as a desperate measure to be used only when I need to cripple an overly powerful AI. Sort of a "terrorist/intifada" attack, not really suiting the term "precision bombing."
      Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
      Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
      Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
      Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

That is why bombardment is a waste of time in Civ3.
        How ridiculous is it that the city got reduced from size 26 to size 1, and yet, the 3 warriors in that city survived with no damage.
        ==========================
        www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

With a bit of tweeking, cruise missles are the best bombardment unit in the game. First, give them a range of 6-8 and tag them with the "tactical missle" label. Now, let Aegis cruisers and N. Subs carry up to about 5-10 apiece...

The beauty bit is that now you have a bombardment weapon that _only_ targets units, and can destroy them! I once destroyed the millitary of an entire continent this way...
          Do the Job

Remember the World Trade Center

Comment

Andrew, that is excatly what I did.
            ==========================
            www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

hmmm... sounds good. much better than prec. bomb.

is there any way you can do that with other units besides cruise missile?
              Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
              Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
              Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
              Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

Originally posted by Dida
                Andrew, that is excatly what I did.
                *gives high five*
                Great minds...
                BTW: it is _really_ easy to over do it. I had set Aegis to carry=15 and N. Subs to carry=20, and WOW! I had _hundreds_ of c. missles...
                Do the Job

Remember the World Trade Center

Comment

But the AI won't know how to do this as well. And in my opinion, its no fun playing against the computer when u know u have a definite advantage.

Comment

It would be much fun if precision boming could target only militay builings at first, later industrial, and rest at the end.

Comment

Aargh, what I want is bombing to succeed a little bit more often than it currently does.
                      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Working...
                      X