Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pizarro, Columbus, Cortez, de Leon.... who needs 'em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never built, and (at this point) never will build:
    Explorer
    Paratrooper
    Marines
    Fighter
    Helicopter
    Radar Artillery
    Tactical Nuke
    Stealth Fighter
    Stealth Bomber
    Aegis Cruiser

I built once, but won't anymore:
    Chariot
    Longbowman
    Privateer
    Frigate
    Submarine
    Destroyer
    Cruise Missile
    ICBM

Note that I left UU's out, substituting their equivalents. An upgrade I count as a building. I did never build a Galleon, but I use upgraded Caravels and Galleys though.

Comment

Remember the days when Chariots were a great unit.
      *sigh* those were the days.

Comment

The AI seems to build the apparently useless Longbowmen a lot on my games. Although I will never use it, I made it stronger cos I pitied the AI.
        Up The Millers

Comment

Explorer.
          It`s the only I never use. The helicopter, marines and paratropers are the best.
          Traigo sueños, tristezas, alegrías, mansedumbres, democracias quebradas como cántaros,
          religiones mohosas hasta el alma...

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
            Actually I play almost exclusively on Deity. I've never seen a need for air units. They can't capture/raze cities, kill units, or generate leaders. Ground based bombardment is more efficient anyways.
            IMHO bombers are the best/easiest way to bombard (better distance range for bombarding cities, luxury roads, ...).

AJ
            " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
            - emperor level all time
            - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

I agree that bombers are the best form of bombardment, just not the most efficient. Catapults upgrade all the way, so a large standing bombardment force is readily available with a slow buildup throughout the game. Also the fact that the AI usually keeps a treasure trove of artillery for the taking in the later stages of the game just means they provide extremely cheap bombardment. Often I only build Tanks/Modern Armor late in the game, and just capture artillery from AI cities for bombardment purposes.

Comment

Originally posted by Rothy
                The AI seems to build the apparently useless Longbowmen a lot on my games. Although I will never use it, I made it stronger cos I pitied the AI.
                Don't say they're useless, they are a 4-attacker for anybody without horses or iron. Btw, the English longbowmen were famous in history, victorious for example against a huge army of French knights in 1346 (IIRC). A 5-1-1 longbowman would be a much better English UU than this crappy Man-O-War.

Comment

For me, an un-used unit is a useless unit. And these units are:

Explorers, marines, submarines, all ships except the Battleship and the transport, cruise missiles (they dont kill! WTF?!?) and paratroopers and fighters.

Spec.
                  -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I don't bother with explorers in Civ3 either, for reasons similar to those given above.

But one thing I did to make these units more "accessible" was to change the required technology. In default, explorers don't happen until "navigation." Instead, I set it so that "astronomy" is the required tech; that'd be certainly enough for land movement. But even then, I suspect that the unit's value, at that stage of development, is pretty low.

Perhaps a higher movement allowance (even more than horsemen) would help too?

Comment

Originally posted by Nimokmai
                      Remember the days when Chariots were a great unit.
                      *sigh* those were the days.
                      back in civ I that was IIRC. in civ 2 chariots (the wheel, 3-1-2) were quickly replaced by elephants (polytheism, 4-1-2)

Comment

Working...
                      X