No announcement yet.

Does anyone like the way leaders work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone like the way leaders work?

I absolutely hate the way they work. I can find no possible explanation why they made it work the way it does.

I just can't stand not being able to build an army without a leader (yes I know there is a minor wonder that allows you to do this- but you still need a leader to build the army). Who the hell created this monstrosity feature?
    Yes: leader offer an exciting and play balanced game feature
    36.73%
    No: leaders are unbalalancing for various reasons namely their infrequencey
    24.49%
    No: leaders suck for other reasons not listed above
    22.45%
    Yes: any feature in a game with Sid's name on it must be good
    2.04%
    bananas should be used instead of leaders.
    14.29%

i dont like to fact you have to get them through war. and that building some wonders, you need them.

i never get any from my lack of war, so tis another feature that benefits the warmongerer.
    eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

I think the leader system is great, Fantastic.

My 18 i have got in my current game have been crucial.
      Up The Millers

Comment

The only thing I think that sucks with leaders is the rate at which they appear. They only appear with Elite units but Elite units, for some reason, seem to be really weak. How many times have I seen an Elite unit get killed by a veteran units of the same kind or worst. I'd have to try this but I'm sure If I take 10 veteran units of the same def. than attack against 10 elite units of the same value, the veterans will win easely. Both ways, attacking and defending. That's what I find most annoying, you elite dies before making a leader.

Spec.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I've noticed that with Elite's too, but i always give my Elite's easy win fights now.
          Up The Millers

Comment

I never use elites for city busting except for cleanup. whenever I sense that the only thing left is a concript unit, I'll use my elites. Leaders seem to spawn more when taking cities. So I'll wait until I think there is only 1 defending unit left to use my elites. I never use them as my first attack on a city. I use vets to try to gauge how good the defenses are.

Comment

A poorly designed game element, mainly, as mentioned, due to the fact that they come to civs at war.

I believe, though, that the issue can be resolved. Something simple, such as reaching a specified culture value in a city or civ could spawn a leader.

Comment

Change Leaders

Simply, leaders SHOULD supply a combat bonus to every unit in a stack - not merely "build armies". This is much too limiting on their effectiveness and the historic roles of such as Alexander, Caesar, Hannibal, Napoleon, etc. Civ III Armies are of limited use offensively; better defensively. But real Great Leaders did not stay on the defensive.

Comment

They come rarely enough that they are not significant. They are not unbalancing because of their rarity: therefore -- BANANAS!

Comment

Basically, I like how they work with making armies, and they make decent sense that way. They add an exciting element.

I do not like how they work rush building improvements, which makes no sense at all. I would not care about this, except there is no other decent way to build Palace/FP in a one shield city. It also has bad effects on Wonder races, by turning war like civs into better builders than peaceful builders!

I don't like being forced into war to get them for rush building purposes. This would not be a problem except for needing one to build a Palace / Forbidden Palace in a good position.
                    Good = Love, Love = Good
                    Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

One, please?

It might not be too hard to program a change that would provide one (just one) leader with the Military tech. (Optional to turn off, of course)

That would allow non-combatative players to experience Armies or rushing - but wouldn't likely put balance off too much, since all civs would then be running around with one army.

I've had a few leaders, but often they don't survive long enough to start an army.

It's not bad, though. If they were really easy to obtain, it wouldn't be a much fun.
                      Many are cold, but few are frozen.No more durrian, please. On On!

Comment

I voted for bananas, but on the condition that they only spawn in size 1 jungle cities!

Having Scientific, Industrial, Commercial, Cultural, and Diplomatic leaders in the game would be a great touch. Warfare is too powerful even without the leader generation advantage.

Comment

You know what I like. I like when ***** start polls that completely disprove their fevered theories.

That's what I like.
                          MOHonor - PJP

"Better ingredients make a better pizza" - Papa John

Comment

I love it when ***** don't know what the purpose of polls are

Comment

have you graduated elementary school yet? Do you know why I put this poll here? You could say it's spam, but I could say the same about your posts.

It is to find out how the people in civ3 general view leaders. I don't expect them to agree with me. In fact I believe most people would disagree with my theories about what makes a game fun.

Some people need to get some more forced schooling. They aren't intelligent enough for these boards.

Comment

Working...
                              X