No announcement yet.

Civ3 Is filled with REAL history!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm not the only one who thinks FIRAXIS but more work into SMAC than civ3? I think SMAC was a hell of an undertaking, seeing as there was hardly anything to base it on (as civ3 bases itself on the older civs).

Comment

The reason to "strip down" computer code is to make it easier to manage, load, and cross-reference. In this case, Firaxis did NOT strip the code, the didn't add superfluous puffery to the existing code. Culture and diplomacy added enough to the save files, in someone's opinion, without the player naming geographical features in a way the machine must store them. By the way, feel free to name features, just don't expect to see it in the code.
      No matter where you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai
      "I played it [Civilization] for three months and then realised I hadn't done any work. In the end, I had to delete all the saved files and smash the CD." Iain Banks, author

Comment

I didn't say they stripped down the code. They made the gameplay more basic and cleaner if you will. The classic games have the fewest basic rules and fewest basic options. (i.e. chess, checkers, backgammon, etc.)

I'm also not saying I agree with the decission, just that it is.
        Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

Who in the world ever actually wants something stripped down?
          Depends whats getting stripped down, I think....

But seriously, it's clear that Firaxis chose to make a civ 3 game that would appeal to the masses, and this meant that many features that would be appreciated by the more dedicated RTS fans, such as a more detailed tech tree for instance, were lost as this would maximise sales.

Sadly, people like us lose out in such decisions I think.

Comment

I'm also not saying I agree with the decission, just that it is.
            Oh ok, I figured you did agree with it given your general position. I didn't see how it could really be defended, at least from a dedicated players like ours point of view.

Heh heh, good one. Now that I can easily agree with.

Watch out, most people here have a prejudice against RTS...
            Good = Love, Love = Good
            Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

Ability to name tiles, individual units, and diplomatic agreement would be nice.
              ==========================
              www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

Civ III is filled with history as same as a turkey filled with peanut butter. It may not be the worst or nothing at all, but it's not the best. Civ is aiming at selling a game that's fun. They could make StarCraft, but they just happen to have developed Civ... It's a little how I feel about all this. I'm stil pretty happy they developed Civ, but it stil needs some tweaking before we get something close to controling a civ in real History. But it's on its way, sloowwly, whoever will finally do it...
                Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby_Doo

But seriously, it's clear that Firaxis chose to make a civ 3 game that would appeal to the masses, and this meant that many features that would be appreciated by the more dedicated RTS fans, such as a more detailed tech tree for instance, were lost as this would maximise sales.

Sadly, people like us lose out in such decisions I think.
                  Well, maybe not only RTS, but your right in the fact that it's for a broader consumer range. I think THAT is why God invented expansion packs and add-ons (or was it Sierra in 1983? ). Anyway, for the intence psychos like us we should see all the depth in something like that. An expansion pack for the masses would really pain me.

As for stripping down, I don't want anyone here to mention the thread about Joan d'Arc "stripping down". In any way or means, indirect or direct. Do you understand me? I repeat, we will NOT be mentioning the "stripping". At all.

Comment

Working...
                  X