Problem starting new game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem starting new game

every time i try to start a new game i just get that silly thump sound effect, and nothing happens. just stays in the same screen (the main one).

i edited the bic file only slightly, and this should cos probs anyway. does anyone know whats going on?
    eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Re: Problem starting new game

Originally posted by The Andy-Man
    every time i try to start a new game i just get that silly thump sound effect, and nothing happens. just stays in the same screen (the main one).

i edited the bic file only slightly, and this should cos probs anyway. does anyone know whats going on?
    Have you always had this problem, or did it develop after you modified your Bic?
    ...gonna shoot me some lobster-backs

Comment

after i modified my .bic

what i did was:

make settlers wheeled units
      changed some stats for nuke sub
      changed stats for aeigis
      changed stats/cost(sheilds) or destroyer and battleship.

Comment

after i modified my .bic

what i did was:

make settlers wheeled units
        changed some stats for nuke sub
        changed stats for aeigis
        changed stats/cost(sheilds) or destroyer and battleship.
        The changes you made to the settlers might be the genesis of your problem. If you made them a wheeled unit, and there are no graphics to depict them as such (I may be wrong on this), then it would probably cause the game to crash.

Try reverting the settlers back to their default settings and see if that helps.

Comment

now it wount let me deselect stuff. i HAVE to give the settler a special ability weather i like it or not

and i want him to be wheeled. that whas why i modified it. the thing to the ships was just while i was there kinda changes.

Comment

now it wount let me deselect stuff. i HAVE to give the settler a special ability weather i like it or not

and i want him to be wheeled. that whas why i modified it. the thing to the ships was just while i was there kinda changes.
            That doesn't sound good at all. If I were you, I would just simply reinstall the game and start from scratch, but that's just me.

I hate fumbling around with arcane files, especially if I'm not sure what they do. So whenever I have problems (e.g. bad mod install), I just cut my losses and start from scratch.

However, maybe someone might be able to find a solution for you that doesn't require a complete re-installation of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Minuteman

The changes you made to the settlers might be the genesis of your problem. If you made them a wheeled unit, and there are no graphics to depict them as such (I may be wrong on this), then it would probably cause the game to crash.

Try reverting the settlers back to their default settings and see if that helps.
              No, I've done that with mine and it hasn't caused any problems.

Comment

Are you sure you have the right editor? The one that came with the patch was wrong, you should have 1.15 not 1.17, which was sent out at first. There's always the possibility that the bic file has been corrupted. It's happened to me a few times, so that even changing things back would crash the game. So check your version number, and if that's not it, just try it again. If it still happens, just change one thing at a time then test it so that you can isolate the problem. I've discovered, the hard way, that there's some things you just don't change.

PS Welcome to the world of modding. I hope you have your Prozac perscription handy.

Comment

i am using the editor that came with the 1.17 patch.... do i need to get that updated editor thing then?

and about the prozac, i finished em off yesturday, do you think i should leave it til i bin back to the Dr before i start modding it?

Comment

i am using the editor that came with the 1.17 patch.... do i need to get that updated editor thing then?

and about the prozac, i finished em off yesturday, do you think i should leave it til i bin back to the Dr before i start modding it?
                    OK, there's your problem, you need the proper editor. If you make any changes using the one you have, the game won't work. I believe it's around here somewhere, or you can go to their web site or Civ Fanatics.

As for the Prozac, no keep modding, you might get lucky and never have a single screwup. Just have your prescription ready, just in case.

Comment

i got the editor and it works fuine now.

still using up the prozac cos of the damn AI though........

Comment

Working...
                      X