Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you did not know about F7 or F11?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you did not know about F7 or F11?

F7 and F11 bring up a hidden feature (or so I think) in that you cannot get to them any other way and the game does not indicate that you can get to them.

I voted no, but I should have voted "yes, but not until someone told me" since I know about it now.

Personally, I didn't read through the manual. I only looked up things I needed and usually I found the civilopedia had better info than the manual, so I never knew this feature was there.
    Yes, I read about it in the manual.
    59.62%
    Yes, but I did not know till someone told me about them.
    15.38%
    No, I just found out about them.
    25.00%
    Last edited by Kevin Ar18; February 21, 2002, 18:09.

Re: How many of you did not know about F7 or F11?

Originally posted by Kevin Ar18
    F7 and F11 bring up a hidden feature (or so I think) in that you cannot get to them any other way and the game does not indicate that you can get to them.
    Huh? Doesn't F7 display the WOWs, and F11 display global demographics??? I must hit those keys 500 times per game. I don't think that they're as big a secret as you think they are.

Do you mean, by pressing F7 & F11 simultaneously something wonderful will happen?? Is that what you mean?
    ...gonna shoot me some lobster-backs

Comment

No, I mean exactly that -- WOW and demographics. I want to see how many people knew about this feature without somebody telling them.

Comment

No offense, but I think that you may be underestimating the average gamer, and especially, the average civer.

Even for those who scarcely touched their manuals after installing the game, the simple act of playing a game like this will prompt you to explore your keyboard just to see what everything does.
        ...gonna shoot me some lobster-backs

Comment

Um, none of your poll options fit for me. I found out about F7 and F11 by myself. I figured since F1-F6 all had a function I might as well try F7 and beyond to see if they had any functions and lone behold they did. Also, I found this out on my second game, but I could see how some may not have figured out the functions of the other F keys.
          However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

I guess I just like intutive programs where all data is findable in the game through some menu or window. Oh well, now I know about the feature, so I guess it won't matter.

Comment

For a while I did not know about F7 or F11 either, however I did end up reading it in the manual and also was very suprised that it was not a menu that you could bring up thru the advisor screen somehow. Especially since both of these menus are very useful to the player and was part of the menus in Civ 2.

Comment

"Officer, I didn't know what the red sign meant. I didn't read the manual! Damn, Firaxis!"
                Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

u mean, these aint in the menu bars!!! jesus christ!!!!!!!
                  eimi men anthropos pollon logon, mikras de sophias

Comment

They probably couldn't find a good place to put the buttons leading to those screens. There's a lot of commands, like shift+a, that u can only learn from the keyboard command lists in the manual.
                    MonsterMan's Mod: http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/civ3/

Comment

Spec.
                      -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Minuteman
                        No offense, but I think that you may be underestimating the average gamer, and especially, the average civer.
                        True enough. I think this question is more relevant to the SUB-average civer; someone like ME. I am only beginning to appreciate how much the keyboard shortcuts can help (I even played Civ II for a long time with just the mouse).

I do it because I'm lazy, but I think it also has something to do with a preference for mouse or keyboard (i.e. I don't have to put the beer down to fiddle with the keyboard).

At any rate, I did read the manual, but I did not memorize all the commands. I did assume that all keyboard commands would have a GUI link and that No Link = No Command. I'm sorry, really.
                        (Feeling like a member of the gang who couldn't shoot straight)

Comment

They're in the manual. Civ 3 sucks if you don't learn the hot keys, IMHO.

Comment

Well seeing how almost all the games I play have some sort of F key command, it just strikes me as second nature to press them and see what comes up. I don't know, maybe I'm weird that way.

Comment

I seem to recall finding out about them by experimenting with all the "F" keys to see if they did anything. And they did, so good!!

Also, I was wondering where the wonder screen and demographics screen was...they had to be there somewhere, right?
                              If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a very rich man

Comment

Working...
                              X