Labelling Geographic Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labelling Geographic Features

I'm sure someone will tell me off for some reason, but is it possible to make a mod that does this? I mean it was neato the way we could label things in AC, it added a bit more feeling to the game. I should think this would be a pretty simple addition, though I'm not really a computer fellow.

I like this idea, especially for map making and really long games.
    "Government isn't the solution to our problems; Government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

No, I don't have Civ4 yet...

Comment

What? No one tells anyone off in this forum. But, yes, that massive continent would feel more like home if you could name geographic features and regions. I, for one, would like to name each of my provinces, one by one. And I think those regular Impi would be fighting like veterans if they knew they were defending the Limpopo River Valley rather than some nameless tile.

Comment

For it need deep redeveloping exe code for binding labels with topographic circonstances IMHO. It's target for Civ4 may be...
        CiviPort

Comment

I agree, one of the things that really made the loooong SMAC multiplayer games fun was watching the players populate their territory with various landmarks... and then watching the horrible slag matches that would result when a landmark was conquered and renamed. Yes... naming landmarks should definitely be included in Civ 3, at least by the time multiplayer comes out.

Comment

I always thought that naming landmarks in SMAC was fun. Even if it didn't make any gameplay difference it made it just a bit more immersive.

Seems beyond current editor abilities and not high on Firaxis' priorities, but maybe like some other features, it's partially there already and just disabled.
            Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
            Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
            Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
            Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

I think this would be a great idea. I already give informal names to a few significant landscape features. For example, the single isolated mountain next to my capital in my current Iroquois game is Mount Salamanca.

It would be nice to name oceans as well.
              None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

I'd also love to be able to label areas!

I used to really love the sign feature in older SimCity, and I was really disappointed when they removed it in the newest version.

A long time ago in really good Civ2 games I used to make a small rough paper map and name things on it ... sad I know, but it made the game more fun. When I was planning strategies thinking in terms of area names was more fun and "realistic" than thinking in game terms.

Generally I see cities as regions, not just an urban center. So lots of times I name cities for what I would name the region, often after interesting geographic features. This gives the labling effect. Not perfect, but fun.
                Good = Love, Love = Good
                Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

Re: Labelling Geographic Features

Originally posted by 0bsidi0n
                  I'm sure someone will tell me off for some reason, but is it possible to make a mod that does this? I mean it was neato the way we could label things in AC, it added a bit more feeling to the game. I should think this would be a pretty simple addition, though I'm not really a computer fellow.
                  Great suggestion! And make those labels rally points for units.

Comment

Working...
                  X