Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patch Naming Suggestion

Firaxis,

Regarding all the patch confusion that happens...
    why not give different patches different names?

I don't think anyone would be too put-out if the naming convention was 1.17fa 1.17fb, or 1.17.2f, or even 1.17g (for "get-this-patch-it-really-is-the-final-one" ).

The latest patch is the latest patch, and we should be able to identify it as such. In your CVS, there must be more detail than just 1.17f.

That said, I know you were doing us a favour by getting it to us a bit sooner than waiting for the official channel. So thanks.

(Sorry if this was brought up previously).

Just a friendly thought,

R.

I know!!
    How about...Super patch!!
    no?...or...
    Patch Super!!!.....
    NO!! I got it!!
    Patcher!! or Supatch?!?
    awwwwwwwww let's stick with the 1.17fghdjgnad

Spec.
    -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Spectator
      I know!!
      How about...Super patch!!
      no?...or...
      Patch Super!!!.....
      NO!! I got it!!
      Patcher!! or Supatch?!?
      awwwwwwwww let's stick with the 1.17fghdjgnad

Spec.

I love it when people turn something as simple and mundane as patch designation into something as complex as a testicular biopsy.
      ...gonna shoot me some lobster-backs

Comment

Originally posted by Minuteman
        I love it when people turn something as simple and mundane as patch designation into something as complex as a testicular biopsy.
        Please....do not.....mention....again......"mental picture"...........
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I think if one would incorperate the date of the patch, that would be useful.

Example:
          1.17f_02_14_02

or maybe replace the name with the actual coding, like:

1.17f 00A0 01B7 10AA 0010 B01A...

maybe not...
          "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

Boring: Name patches according to the order they were released, thus 1.17f would be the "second" patch.

Bizarre: Name the patch after members of the Apolyton CIV3 community.

Odd: Name the patch after pets owned by the Firaxans.

Already Been Done: Name the patches after characters in Toy Story.
            None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

Originally posted by star mouse
              Odd: Name the patch after pets owned by the Firaxans.
              What's the name of the tutle shown in the making of Civ3 Movie?
              Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

The best way is to have a simple percentage representing how complete the game is. The first patch might have been called:

"55%" The latest patch could be "63%" etc.

That way, a person can simply glance at the name of the latest patch and decide if the game is worth playing yet. Good idea, yes?
                I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

I think Big R has a good point; Firaxis has released quite a few v1.17 patches. Therefore it is rather difficult to know if you have the most recent version. For each new verison that is made available a letter should increase after the patch version. So I think that would mean Firaxis is on, either, v1.17b or v1.17c. There I just proved the point as to why that letter is needed.
                  However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

Originally posted by TechWins
                    I think Big R has a good point; Firaxis has released quite a few v1.17 patches. Therefore it is rather difficult to know if you have the most recent version. For each new verison that is made available a letter should increase after the patch version. So I think that would mean Firaxis is on, either, v1.17b or v1.17c. There I just proved the point as to why that letter is needed.
                    FIRAXIS use the letter "b" to denote "beta" and "f" to denote "final" in their internal system. This should not be changed. What should be considered tho is appending a number after this so we know which version of the patch we got. So the first version of the patch with the broken editor would have been "1.17f.1", the second patch with the broken civ3mod file would have been "1.17f.2" etc.
                    None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

1.17f
                      1.17ff(Honest--Firaxis)
                      1.17fff(Quit Laughing--Firaxis)

OR

1.17fbwwwe

(finished but won't work with editor)
                      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                        The best way is to have a simple percentage representing how complete the game is. The first patch might have been called:

"55%" The latest patch could be "63%" etc.

That way, a person can simply glance at the name of the latest patch and decide if the game is worth playing yet. Good idea, yes?
                        along similar lines, n of x

1 of 12
                        2 of 64
                        3 of 31
                        etc....
                        Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Working...
                        X