Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So are workers broken now or what? What am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So are workers broken now or what? What am I doing wrong?

It seems that since the last patch, all the worker shortcuts have been changed, and maybe some of the commands don't work anymore. Maybe a list would be helpful...

I thought shift+a was supposed to automate your workers but forbid them from altering existing improvements. Well I mine a few grasslands, hit shift+a and then my worker immediately proceeds to irrigate said grasslands. WTF???

crtl+shift+I seems to work as intended, but some workers I'd like to have roaming my entire civ...

It's little stuff like this that totally ruins the game for me. If I can't find a way to properly automate my workers, well, that kills the game completely. I hate managing each and every worker.

they felt like shortcut keys were giving an advantage to the human player over the AI allowing them to beat the game at a level higher than warlord, therfore they eliminated all shortcut keys

Comment

Hope this isn't true. Can anyone else confirm this? I have yet to load the patch.

Comment

Of course it is not true.

And shift-A works fine for me.

Comment

What was happening was I had a grassland mined right next to one of my cities, and when I shift-A'ed the worker on that tile he immediately started irrigating. What I think may be happening is that workers place a higher priority on irrigating to city than they do on not changing the landscape when you tell them not to (off with their heads). I've started a new game since then (on the same map) and it hasn't been a problem. Weird.

Oh, and Mr "Todd Hawks," I can assure you this did happen. Next time try contributing to the thread in which you post.

Comment

I will confirm that in my post patch games I have seen workers assigned with the Shift-A shortcut HAVE altered previous improvements. I have been trying to figure out why, and I have not seen any pattern to it, they will not change land around a city who is starving, but randomly it will change the improvement, in my experience, always a mine to irrigation.

I really hadn't seen it enough to upset me, only a couple of times, I have also noticed they seem to set pollution cleanup higher on their priority list

Bill9999

Comment

Some of my shift-A workers also randomly start altering existing improvements.

But this was already before 1.17f.

Comment

First of all: My comment about "not being true" was directed at Dissidents post about all shortcuts having been eliminated by Firaxis.

So I apologise if you felt attacked by this. Maybe I should have made clearer what I meant.

And as I said: Shift-A does seem to work correctly in my games. Although I have to say that I don't check every turn what my workers have done. If it does screw up sometimes then this happens not often enough for me to notice.
                Last edited by Todd Hawks; February 20, 2002, 10:50.

Comment

No worries. Maybe my keyboard is FU.

Comment

Shift-A works as it's supposed to for me. I know it don't help, but that's the way it is on my machine.
                    Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Hawks

I have hundreds of workers on shift-A. All are working properly. (Occassionally, I have noticed an errant one, but that is probably due to my weak shift-finger.)

Comment

Originally posted by Kilroy_Alpha
                        What was happening was I had a grassland mined right next to one of my cities, and when I shift-A'ed the worker on that tile he immediately started irrigating. What I think may be happening is that workers place a higher priority on irrigating to city than they do on not changing the landscape when you tell them not to (off with their heads). I've started a new game since then (on the same map) and it hasn't been a problem. Weird.
                        Correctly observed. The automate function will try to do an "irrigate to" for the city if the city is not already next to irrigation/river/lake. However, I forgot to turn that off for shift+A. Will be fixed...
                        - What's that?
                        - It's a cannon fuse.
                        - What's it for?
                        - It's for my cannon.

Comment

Originally posted by Soren Johnson Firaxis

Correctly observed. The automate function will try to do an "irrigate to" for the city if the city is not already next to irrigation/river/lake. However, I forgot to turn that off for shift+A. Will be fixed...
                          So Soren, this off topic, but I have a couple of questions regarding the fix about government buildings.

Does this mean that a gov specific building no longer functions when you change to some other form?

If so, does this also include culture?

Comment

in the chat soren said the building was completely ignored, so i'm guessing that means culture too

but an answer from soren would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Hawks

Shift A works for me. In fact, I think after the patch they work even better! I saw about six workers working on a single tile! This is great.
                              I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Working...
                              X