No announcement yet.

Common misspellings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your probberly right two comence these thred.

....btw it's "carvery", not calvary

Comment

Getting back to topic...

artillery, not "artillary"
      Gandhi, not "Ghandi"
      The difference between industrial society and information society:
      In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
      In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Comment

Teh most common misspelling is probably just a typing error.

Comment

"is disappointing", not "sux0rz"
          HAHAHA

A friend of mine talks/spells in 133t all the time. It pisses me off.

Advisor, not adiviser
          Military, not militery

Steele
          If this were a movie, there'd be a tunnel or something near here for us to escape through.....

Comment

Dis thraed is funy.
            It halps mey two speel
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I must say that it's not so bad on this forum. At least I can figure out what people mean ... most of the time anyway.
              The posts on the Mohaa boards are sometimes so bad when it comes to spelling and punctuation that I have no idea what the poster[1] is talking about.

Robert

[1] Poster as in one who posts[2], not a big paper thing on a wall.

[2] places a message on a forum or board, not puts letters into a mailbox.
              A strategy guide? Yeah, it's what used to be called the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by kailhun
                I must say that it's not so bad on this forum. At least I can figure out what people mean ... most of the time anyway.
                The posts on the Mohaa boards are sometimes so bad when it comes to spelling and punctuation that I have no idea what the poster[1] is talking about.

Robert

[1] Poster as in one who posts[2], not a big paper thing on a wall.

[2] places a message on a forum or board, not puts letters into a mailbox.
                Civ games tends to attract intelligent players, it's kind of the nature of the game. Also, an interest in history is pretty much guarenteed I think.

Comment

Aren't we missing the biggest offender?

It's LOSE, people. L-O-S-E. One (1) O.

It is NOT LOOSE

. That one bugs the HELL out of me, since I see it everywhere (I even see it occasionally in newspaper headlines).
                  -CC

Comment

It is shield, not "sheild".

Comment

Originally posted by The Viceroy
                      Colour not Color
                      Centre not Center

Ugh! For all you Brits, the word 'color' or 'colour' comes from the Latin 'color' so guess what? We Americans are right on this one. (No doubt 'colour' comes from a French corruption of Latin introduced into English by the Nasty Norman Froggies who conquered your country oh so long ago.)

You may have us on center though, which comes from 'centrum' a perfectly good 2nd declension neuter Latin noun. 'Center' looks like a 3rd declension Latin noun (which would decline as 'center', 'centris', 'centro', etc.), but the orginal is 2nd not 3rd declension. However, 'centre' would be the ablative form of the hypothetical 3rd declension form 'center' (again, not an actual word) so you may even be further off that us (at least 'center' looks nomnative ...)
                      - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                      - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                      - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

Originally posted by Aeson
                        Teh most common misspelling is probably just a typing error.
                        Yuo are right.

Ah, and two more:

to receive, not recieve
                        weird, not wierd

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Johnson
                          [too many people are punctuating their petty demands with the little red fist-pounding guy. This overuse MUST STOP!
                          Ohh! That's what it is!!! I thought it was a tail!
                          "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

How about the oh so confusing:

its and it's;
                            there, their, and they're;
                            which and witch;
                            whether and weather;
                            Firaxis, please listen and Firaxis, you dumb f*cks

Robert
                            A strategy guide? Yeah, it's what used to be called the manual.

Comment

It is granary, not "granery" or "grainery".

Comment

Originally posted by

Civ games tends to attract intelligent players, it's kind of the nature of the game. Also, an interest in history is pretty much guarenteed I think.
                                guarenteed?
                                guaranteed.

was that on porpoise?
                                Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
                                Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
                                Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
                                Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

Working...
                                X