Civ3 in windowed mode ??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ3 in windowed mode ??????

Can Civ3 be played in a window ?? you know, one thats resizeable???

Thank you for reading this long elaborate message

gracias amigo

Almost certainly not. Having other programs visible would put even more stress on the PC's resources. As you know the game is not a speed demon anyway.

Alt-tab seems to work, but not smoothly (on a P-III 500, 384)

Comment

Just to add to Koenig's post... Alt+Tab only works if you've had a 2nd program running before you started up Civ.

-FMK.

Comment

One of my PCs is a PII 400 w/256MB RAM and Alt-Tab works very smoothly. Methinks there are hardware differences that affect the game less obvious than the processor. The PII 400 suffers from the same slow-turn syndrome, but it doesn't seem all that bad compared to some of the faster machines.
        HW

Comment

Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
          Just to add to Koenig's post... Alt+Tab only works if you've had a 2nd program running before you started up Civ.
          -FMK.
          Or if you started it after running Civ by pressing Ctrl+Esc etc.

Comment

Touché

Comment

from a previouse post

You Can Play Windowed Mode!!

yep thats right...here is how:

play one game, this will generate the .ini file described in the readme.txt

here is an example:
              if your desktop is say 1280x960, you can play the game in a 1152x768 window for instance. to do this add the following two lines to the .ini file:

KeepRes=1
              Video Mode=1152

...thats it. it plays civ3 in a 1152x768 window while maintaining a 1600x768 desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by khawkins98
                You Can Play Windowed Mode!!
                [...]
                ...thats it. it plays civ3 in a 1152x768 window while maintaining a 1600x768 desktop.
                Well, kind of. I'm sure what Ganja expected was a real window mode. i.e. one with Windows controls to minimize, and a title bar so you can move the window around. This method posted by Khawkins will put Civ3 into a smaller "window", but there are no controls. You cannot minimize it, and you can't move it (it stays in the upper left part of your screen). If you consider that worthwhile then great, but personally I find it useless.

I want the ability to minimize my Civ3 screen. Oh well, no such luck.

Comment

just use the press the "windows" key, this works fine too, and much easier
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

alva is right with the window key, you can have as many windows open as you want with that, but it will run slooooow( still makes editing your mod a hell of alot easier than shutting down civ3 every time you want to make a change)

Comment

You can use Windows + D to minimize everything and go to the desktop.
                      Was gone for two years, I'm back now.
                      in a 3D world is there a difference between these: b d q p | / - \
                      3D Unit tutorial
                      My units: MechWalker,Rocket soldier,Hover Tank,Crawler,Hover Copter

Comment

Working...
                      X