Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Firaxis now work on Patches or an XP???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem, of course, is that the x-pack will need the previous version in order to run. While I am undoubtedly a minority here, those of us hanging on this long without having bought the game will now have to wait for the Gold Edition before being able to play. There's nothing particularly wrong with that from my point of view as I have plenty of other games to play, but does Firaxis stand to make as much money that way?

Well, since most people bought the orginial and will likely buy the x-pack and Gold Edition, I guess they'll make their money just fine. At any rate, I'm glad there are lots of people who are happy to fuel the patching process...
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Yin, why are you even here? You don't own the game, so you can't possibly comment on how it plays with the recent patches. (Unless, of course, you're a pirate. I certainly wouldn't put that past you.)

In either case, your opinions don't matter. You either have all the trustworthiness of a thief, or you don't play the game.

So, shut up until you buy the game and have something on which to base your views.

Comment

I'm here because I enjoy bothering you. Your reply pleased me greatly!
        I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

Patches

Why support XP?

Do you want MS to know which CD's and videos you have been playing? With XP MicroSoft is adding your system and usage history to a huge database.

There are other civs still alive out there-- the linux are saying NO to Microsoft spies.

1998 -- Big Brother watching every move was government

2002 -- Big Brother Microsoft is recording every move and selling this information to the highest bidder.

Comment

umm....

Originally posted by planetfall
            Why support XP?

Do you want MS to know which CD's and videos you have been playing? With XP MicroSoft is adding your system and usage history to a huge database.

this thread's not about Windows XP, but an eXpansion Pack (XP)
            Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
              Actually, you're not pleased, or you wouldn't have said so. If you really just wanted to bother me, you'd continue on with your ways and let me think you're serious.

I now know you're just an attention-seeking whiner. Welcome to my ignore list!

plonk

Comment

And here's the pitch...

Originally posted by Rothy

I think Yin is talking out of his arse, Civ III has problems sure, it's not PERFECT but I'm very satisfied with the game especially folllowing the patches. Firaxis have fixed nearly every minor problem in the game IMO, and i feel it's now the time to start rolling some big features into an XP.
                Oh no, it's a slow sinker falling right down into the strike zo...

Originally posted by Yin26
                Rothy: As I said, Civ3 was targetted at people with rather low standards. You fit the profile.
                I don't even need to look. It's gone. He just begged him to hit that one out of the ballpark. He's gotta feel bad about making it THAT easy... doesn't he?

I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble. - Helen Keller

Comment

Originally posted by yin26
                  OMFG, I was trying to fit myself into a nice little self-pitying depression tonight, and you guys keep throwing Yin26 those freebies.

My usual copay is $15 for therapy, and my medication is about $2 a pill, retail. So I saved about $17 bucks. One more night like this, and I'll have saved enough to buy the expansion pack, actually, unless, Yin, you want a cut of the savings you engendered.
                  I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble. - Helen Keller

Comment

What the hell are you on about
                    Up The Millers

Comment

Heliodorus: Glad to be of service! Watch for the next series coming to a ballpark near you.

Comment

Yin: I'm not going to buy 2 or 3 hundred dollars worth of games before I find one I like. Unlike money, I do not have the time. I like civ. I want to play civ. Civ3 is more than adequate to give me my *fix.*

XP? Maybe. What will it add?

All-in-all, what did Civ2 have that Civ3 lacks? Armies? No. Civil Wars? OK, but hardly a game breaker. A few techs? Yes however, unlike some others I do not think strategy is found in research. It's on the map, just like it has been for every general staff to this date.

What has Civ3 added? Culture. Resources. An aggressively evolving AI, thanks to designers who are paying attention to the boards. Better mechanics, thanks again to designers who are paying attention to the players. Fewer exploits, fewer loop-holes, better chance of a game that will stand the *test of time.*

Go ahead, wait for Gold. Just don't denegrate those who are in the trenches, improving the game you hope you may wish to buy. You just might be cutting off your own nose.

Salve
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Don't get me wrong: My message is never against gamers who are willing and glad to help the process along. You guys are what keeps the game alive. But don't you think the situation is, how shall we say, less than optimal? When I mention 'waiting for the Gold Edition,' my hope is that Firaxis and, yes, more gamers here will consider more carefully the out of the box experience. For in the end, I firmly believe that the subpar game that was released did more to drive away a potential fan base than anything the hardcore group could ever hope to manage weeks or months from now when they actually have the tools to fix the game themselves.

Frankly, I don't see too many winners in all this. It's regrettable to me. That's all.

Comment

I certainly think we need a new patch to patch the problems the last patch caused when patching the previous problems
                            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                            H.Poincaré

Comment

hi ,

a patch to "patch" another patch , but before that you need another patch , LOL - LOL , i start "patchwork" , for my nerves

one thing is clear , civ3 aint what it should be , POINT , so , .....
                              why should they start to work on an XP , huh , right , to make a pâtch that needs a patch to "patch' it , i start to think that there is a lot of bla-bla , and a lot of money going in one way , but not so much "work" in the other way , and by the way , when i get a problem on a comp , i fix it , and dont wait to patch it , whenever , somewhere in the year , after knowing the fix , 3 months later

allez , have a nice day
                              - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                              - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                              WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Finally, a chat with some meat in it.

I don't think anyone can disagree that there were some issues with the initial release of the game. All in all, they did a good job with the game (IMHO), and have fixed some of the initial issues in the patches.

Whether Yin likes it or not isn't the issue here (no offense Yin) - he can have his opinion as long as he doesn't tell me mine is wrong in liking it. Easily pleased? Eh, maybe. Its good enough to keep me entertained for some hours. Certainly not the groundbreaking game Civ was, but did we expect it to be? It's like going to see a movie. If you go into it thinking its going to be the best thing in the world (Phantom Menace - not a bad movie, but couldn't live up to expectations) then you will likely be disappointed. Its a fun game taking elements from previous games and adding to them.

The real question: is an XP worth buying? Maybe, (not that I have ever bought one, not even for Civ II) if they make significant changes to the (still) current issues and get that darn MP going.

One question Yin, out of idle curiosity, if they had waited a year before releasing the game would you be *****ing that you wished they had released it earlier?

Nimokmai

Comment

Working...
                                X