Should planes be able to sink Ships?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should planes be able to sink Ships?

I personally think planes hsould be able to sink ships and ships should be able to destroy planes. Am I alone?
    Yes they should
    72.90%
    No they shouldn't
    27.10%
    I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

that alone won't make the game more realistic or make it any more balanced, and so because of that i say no

Comment

I agree, this wouldn't improve the game for me.

Comment

I'll throw up a dissent

While history has proven many times that planes can take out ships, and ships can take out planes, I feel that implementing this into the current game mechanics would break the game.

BOMBers are used for BOMBardment in the game. BOMBardment can not kill units, or else they really would become useless as a part of the game. Why build a catapult if it works like any other offensive unit? Or Cannon? Or Artillery? They are used to soften defenses, not attack. Same goes for bombers vs boats. They are used to soften, with mop up to be done by a "traditional" offensive units, in this case another naval vessel.

If you were to change the game mechanics to allow bombers to sink ships, why couldn't they wipe out a tank? We know well that a good carpet bombing can take out a unit of armor. Or infantry. Or any other ground based unit. Certainly more easily done than attacking a ship / group of ships in the middle of the ocean.

So the only solution would be to let bombers kill anything then.

But would that really work? They would be unstoppable, so then there would have to be some way for ground units to fight back. That would require at the least new types of AA units, and most likely a whole new section of the "war" engine that would figure how these attacks would be resolved.

Would that add to the level of enjoyment? Personal preference.

This is one of those places that the Firaxis Tag Line comes into play. "When reality runs against fun of the game, fun will always win in the design."

It really comes down to would it be fun? You may feel one way, I may feel another, and we could both be different than the majority.

Bill9999

Comment

Originally posted by korn469
          that alone won't make the game more realistic or make it any more balanced, and so because of that i say no
          Actually, it would alone make the game more realistic. Every little bit helps.

Comment

I see super-bombers capable of killiing anything, anytime. I see new exploits with superbombers against an already weak and slow Navy.

I must say no.
            Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

A no vote from me, although I would allow air units to sink ships that were initially down to 1 hp (similar to non-retreating of 1 hp mounted units).

Comment

I would say no. Game balance reasons.
                I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

I vote no, for all the reasons already mentioned. If Firaxis could include realistic but fun air and anti-air combat then great, but the balance currently favours aircraft too much IMO. Tilting it even further without including effective countermeasures would be wrong as well as damaging to the gameplay.
                  To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                  H.Poincaré

Comment

I said this before in a thread a while back, and I'll say it again. I must have one hell of a bug in my civ3, since the AI is attacking the same unit, on the same tile, that has ONLY ONE UNIT on that tile, and killing it.

I can't see why you can't at least make airplanes kill units, they did that in the other civ game I played (CIV SNES).

Cause they don't kill units, I don't bother with fighters or other bombarding units. They are a waste of turn time and shields. I rather build somthing like a knight or calvary or a tank. Those units work at least.

Perhaps an checkbox option in the editor to turn bombard killing on/off. That would make EVERYONE happy on this subject.
                    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

My anwser is a qualified yes. Planes should be able to sink ships but it should be very hard for them to do so; the opposite should also be true. By making it very hard we would avoid the "super bomber" syndrome and we could add a little bit of realism. Another good fix would be to add an antiaircraft navel unit like an Aegis cruiser which would have a big bonus for attacking and defending against air units.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Where is the *Yes they should, but modern war ships should shoot back* option?

Salve
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I vote yes. I maybe be unique, but when it comes to games like this, reality never goes against fun.

I do agree that bomber/air units shouldn't be able to destroy land units, but they should be able to destroy navy units. Naval and land units are two very differant and distinct kinds of units. Land units can always hide, dig a hole whatever. Once found, ships can't do that.

Comment

Yes but a modifier in favour of the ship would be good.

Anyway, there are more important aspects of gameplay that should be patched!
                            Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
                            Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Y'all probably know my vote, but the closeness of the poll results thus far indicates that as far as Apolyton posters go, options to make air units capable of destroying sea units available via the editor would be a welcome addition.
                              Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

Working...
                              X