Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Horse-units too powerful (even with 1.17f)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ironikinit, i have a good way to boost the use of archers and longbowmen and bring them in-line with the rest...

basically add a 2/0/1 and a 4/0/1 (bombard/range/rate) to archers and longbowmen respectively. This essentially gives them a free bombard with an attack value the same as their normal one everytime they are attacked in a stack...just like artillery.

of couse the Bobylonian bowman would also need this addition

this makes them quite useful for their cost and unfortunate upgrade ability. Plus it makes them useful in attack and defence as they should be!

Comment

Originally posted by Ironikinit
      I'm quite pleased with the change to the rule so far. I've only played the ancient era with 1.17, but fast units seem to be more balanced. I've started using more swordsmen and catapults. Archers are still too weak, even as a temporary measure.

In terms of realism, they should be quite a bit more expensive than similarly powered infantry units, but realism isn't that big of a concern to me.
      Try giving your Archers a bombard strength, range 0. That gives them a free shot at incoming units, and gives them a role as defensive support.

Damn, I should have finished reading the thread. BTW, Dr. Jambo, it doesn't make any difference what the bombard strength is, a free shot will only take off 1 hit point regardless. That's one thing I really hope they change in the next patch, same with ZoC. They're both feeble IMO.

Comment

I was toying with the idea of making archers 2.2.1 and the bowman unit 3.2.1 ... longbows the same but give the English a longbow UU 5.1.1.

I prob won't do it tho. The bowman would just duplicate the swordsman and I consider the Babylonians to be fine as they are. Their excellent attributes are balanced by the weak UU. I will try out the archer bombard idea sometime.
        Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

Working...
        X