Interesting...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting...

Take a look at the menu.txt file in (if you did typical install) c:\program files\infrogrames interactive\civilization iii\text

Scroll down until you reach the the #help &civilopedia line.

Chassis types...weapon types...armor types...reactor types...drone riot details...?

How did SMAC ish get mixed into this?
    Xenothaulus Questor

"...some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Call of Cthulhu"

More interesting

Look at all the references to multiplayer at the end of the script.txt file...
    Xenothaulus Questor

"...some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Call of Cthulhu"

Comment

Perhaps these are part of big easteregg in the game. Perhaps if you play to the year 1000 some civ pops up saying they came from AC 'cause their leader was the first to complete space ship on their world
      I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Wowzers! The things you find if you just look around a bit!

The "play the world" file mentions a game of the week and game of the day, your personal score, and has error messages for server not found and incorrect userID or password.

I think it's obvious what this implies. Go Firaxis!
        "...it is possible, however unlikely, that they might find a weakness and exploit it." Commander Togge, SW:ANH

Comment

Wasn't their a plan to do a Sweep of Time Triology. Starting on Earth (Civ) leading to AC (SMAC) and back home again to earth?

IIRC, their was some language late in SMAC that forshadowed a return to earth scenario. Who remembers this?

I think Firaxis gave up on this concept but I swear I read about it somewhere.

Comment

It is highly probable that they have spit-balled the concept of the civ without end concept. I think the brain trust at Firaxis might be a tad low on neurons if they hadn't.

The files may be traces left of trying to wire-frame the concept.

We can only hope.

In fact, wouldn't 4000bc to AC and back to the scorched earth have plenty of terrain for Sid to top himself over Civ (the original)?

Hmmm. Is he done?

Salve
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

well maybe civ3 is when they return back to earth.

they lose all of their technology.

This could explain why they are scattered in the wrong places- English in South America etc.

and it would explain how the spearman can defeat tanks. well maybe not, no one can explain that.

Comment

Hey! It's an Shard Spear to the likes of you!

Salve
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Perhaps these are part of big easteregg in the game. Perhaps if you play to the year 1000 some civ pops up saying they came from AC 'cause their leader was the first to complete space ship on their world

What an Idea!
                  Up The Millers

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                    Wasn't their a plan to do a Sweep of Time Triology. Starting on Earth (Civ) leading to AC (SMAC) and back home again to earth?

IIRC, their was some language late in SMAC that forshadowed a return to earth scenario. Who remembers this?

I think Firaxis gave up on this concept but I swear I read about it somewhere.
                    Yes, I remember this "Sweep of Time" trilogy idea. And IIRC, when you achieved a victory by transcendence in SMAC, some of the interludes mentioned something about a return to Earth... I don't know for sure, I haven't played SMAC lately (hmm... I'm starting to have ideas... )
                    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                      well maybe civ3 is when they return back to earth.

they lose all of their technology.

This could explain why they are scattered in the wrong places- English in South America etc.

and it would explain how the spearman can defeat tanks. well maybe not, no one can explain that.
                      But that doesn´t explain how they could travel BACK in time to 4000 BC? Have they watched the awfully illogical ending of Planet of the Apes and got some ideas of their own?
                      I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

An explanation

How's this?:

We all know that the Civ games are more like systems when it comes to all of the modding one can do. So here's what I think... Rather than rewrite everything from scratch, ol' Sid just modded and added to some of the AC files. And then forgot to edit out the things that are particular to AC.
                        Xenothaulus Questor

Comment

JT: Yep...you remember correctly! The mention comes in the form of a text blurb if you lose the race to transcendence to another faction....you spend some time melding with the planetmind (who has taken on some of the characteristics of the faction that was first to achieve transcendence), and then, grow restless.

The planetmind gives you a task....you are to take physical form and lead a group of colonists on board the ship "Prodigal Son" to return to Earth.... Very cool alternate ending!

-=Vel=-
                          The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx
                            The planetmind gives you a task....you are to take physical form and lead a group of colonists on board the ship "Prodigal Son" to return to Earth...
                            -=Vel=-
                            ...and plant fungus!

Comment

Working...
                            X