This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can appreciate the humor in that.

Still, things change and the bitterness is forever stored in the collective Southern memory.

You never know what might happen. Canada might invade and we rednecks just might wait till they get to Mason Dixon to stop them. That would be A-OK by me.

Comment

BTW, its good to see AnnC post here again.

Comment

Continue arguing about ACW and then start playing Civ3

I guess every nation has to have it's tribalistic sects. I guess it helps them to pull together when it counts.

BTW, did I mention I was an out-sider?

Kill the Out-sider and then argue about ACW

Salve
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

"Yes, sir. The South will rise again, and when it does, I'll be right up front waving the Stars and Bars," said Dock Mullins of Decatur, GA. "But first, I gotta get my truck fixed and get that rusty old stove out of my yard."

I really like that article.

Happy birthday to the greatest US president ever. May Hell exist if only for the sake of J.W. Booth's eternal torment.
          Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

I am confident — and grateful — that in His perfect judgment of men's hearts, God does not seek out your advice and counsel. Moreover, people who cram the poor into roach and rat infested hovels in the South Bronx ought not to deride Georgian trucks. Perhaps the late twentieth-century southward migration was not without cause.
            "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
              Steele, please, whatever you do ... don't try to paint the South as the bad guys in the war of Northern Agression. There are two sides to every coin but the winner gets to mint them.

Both the North and South were rebels in the War of Independance. If Britain had won history would say that the rebels were the bad guys. If the South had successfully resisted the Northern invasion in the 1860s then textbooks around here would read differently.

I apologize if I came off sounding like that; it was unintended. I cannot help having some dislike for the CSA, as I am in the US Navy. However, I do know the facts, and niether side can be rightfully called the "bad guys." It was a terrible war that killed many thousands of young men on both sides.

My original point was that niether side started the war, alternatively, both sides started the war. There was no aggressor, no antagonist in this war.

Steele
              If this were a movie, there'd be a tunnel or something near here for us to escape through.....

Comment

Damn! As a native son of the Great State of Illinois I just wanted to wish the Greatest American President a happy birthday and I ended up restarting the American Civil War.

There is a lot of power on this forum!
                Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                  Typical of northern propaganda is bringing up the issue of Quantrell to offset Sherman. Sherman was acting in accord with the wishes of his government, Lincoln himself is responsible for this. Quantrell was acting outside of official Confederate sanction.
                  Slavery was officially sanctioned by the Confederacy. While I'm not saying this means Sherman should have done what he did, all I'm saying is that in wars there are plenty of atrocities to go around. To be honest, officially sanctioned means squat when you're in the middle of a war. People do what they do.

As for Quantrell, he may not have been officially sanctioned but he was not exactly censured by the Confederacy either. Sherman's pillage happened, Quantrell's massacres of civilians happened, slavery happened. Our country is still trying to digest the results of the war - Southern resentment, civil rights, people's needs for vengeance, etc. While the fighting may have ended long ago, many issues are still in the process of being resolved (if indeed they ever do).

Now with that said, I'm going to S. Carolina next week on business and you all are making me nervous!

Comment

Working...
                  X