Should I Buy CivIII?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I Buy CivIII?

I've only got money for one game in the next month and a half or so. Basically I'm wondering if I should pick CivIII over whatever else is out there, and so I wanted to get a feel for how much you think you like it all these months after release.

So should I buy it? Improvement over civ2, with the patch maybe? I'm also looking for a fairly detailed diplomacy model that can't be exploited all the time, unlike some of the previous ones we've seen in the civ series before. (do those portraits in the screenshots actually move or not?)

Thanks.
    Last edited by Wiglaf; February 11, 2002, 21:53.

Yes, I think it's a worthy purchase for the money, but more than likely you will be dissapointed as to how the game is. The reason why I think it is a worthy purchase is because the game is worth the money, but the game doesn't live up to the Civ series, IMO. I think you might be best off waiting a while to play Civ3 and getting a fresh start with Civ3 when it's more complete. However, if you feel no reason to wait for that reason, then I would at least see what happens within the next month (i.e. any word for a patch release, if a patch even comes out, if the patch is even useful, etc...). That's my outtake on the position you should use if deciding to purchase Civ3.
    However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

It's kind of a 50/50 call right now. The general attitude is that it's a good game but there are some problems, which they're working on right now. No one knows right now when the next patch will be out, though my guess is no sooner than a month and no later than 2, maybe 3. However, there is a bit of a learning curve involved so by the time you start feeling comfortable with it, the patch may be out. Who knows?

As for whether it's an improvement? In most ways yes, but in other ways no. This is especially true when comparing it to Alpha Centauri. You'll certainly find the AI more of a challenge military wise at least. Which is where a lot of the learning curve comes in. I've read a number of Civ pros mention that they got their butt kicked the first little while. Even after you understand the strategies better, they can still put up a good fight for awhile. Though it's still no match for a human player who understands the game.

So what I suggest you do is toss a coin. It's worth getting it, but you might be better off waiting a month or so, until the patch is ready.

Comment

Wiglaf, I don't know when does Master of Orion III comes out (check it out on gaming sites maybe) but it seems to have more potential to me. Civ III had as much potential too, but it made less than what it could have been IMHO (in my humble opinion). The diplomacy isn't realist to me... I played some turn-based strategy games that were with human players and diplomacy wasn't like this or close (of course, I expect more from humans...). MOO3 will come out with multiplayer and its diplomatic seems very nice. There also could be Europa Universalis II that you could look at. Just go at www.gamespot.com to see what are present games if you want, and make a search on EU II.
        Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

I would say, eventually buy the Gold Edition of Civ 3 (that will include all the patches, mods, editors, MP, etc). That will be a worthwhile buy. Civ 3 right now has many good things, but many bad things as well. Is it worth paying full price? Not as it stands right now. Maybe wait until it falls to half its price and pick it up then.

For half the money, you can purchase EU2 now, and it stands head and shoulders above Civ 3. If you want strategy, complexity, politics, economics, wars, religions, and diplomacy all wrapped up in an elegant interface, on a beautiful world map, with excellent unit animations and music, then this is the game to play. It spans the years from 1419 to 1819. You can play one of 200 countries! And all of the countries have their own provinces, military, alliances, religions, etc. So the replayability is awesome.

You could probably buy two games for the price of Civ3 right now. Check out the thread on "What other games are comparable to Civ3" thread for other ideas.

But make no mistake - the Civ 3 Gold Edition, if it includes everything it should, will be a worthwhile purchase later

Comment

I've had the game a couple of months and reckon there's a lot more to it than most folk realise. Compared to previous versions at about this stage I'd be a bit bored by now...it would simply be a matter of refining a fairly straightforward strategy to beat the AI, without cheating, at all but the two highest levels. This version is a real challenge that'll keep you busy until the next patch comes out.

The diplomacy is a busy and useful aspect of the game but, as you'll have read, has not yet been fully developed along with some other aspects of the game design. If these are even half-way addressed in future patches I'll be hooked for a year. As it stands this could happen anyway but the only fly in the ointment is the late game which can be a grind. But wasn't this always the case...and this is a strategy game, not a shoot em up.

For a rush job put out to catch the Christmas market this is a good game anyway but I'd anticipate the patches to really beef it up ;-)

Taxi

Comment

I recommend waiting, as Civ3 lacks a scenario editor and Multiplayer. However, if you do not play scenarios and don't play MP, then it may be a worthwhile purchase.

I also recommend that you NOT purchase the "Limited" Edition, as the "extras" in it are not worth the extra $ coughed up for it.
              Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

Yeah, the portraits move. You can see them getting madder and madder as you insult them. It's pretty cool.

Don't get it if you have a junkbox obsolete computer. You want to exceed the minimum requirements.

It's always smart to wait to buy games because they sometimes get cheaper. My buddy saw Europa Universalis in the bargain bin for 2 bucks. He didn't get it.

Back to Civ 3. It's a good game, pretty fun as strategy games go, and can be addictive. I've gotten the money's worth bigtime, and I can't think of a better way to spend entertainment money.

That's just me.
                Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

Definite Yes (your mileage may vary)

Yes, get the game, but:

If you don't have a 700+MHz computer you may be disappointed at how few civs you can have in the game without it bogging down.

If you can't tolerate a unit with the image and name of "Spearman" defeating a cavalry or a tank (very rare, of course), your mileage may diminish. (You have probably read plenty of those threads here already).

Large games CAN have long periods of tedium during peacetime in the late Industrial and Modern eras. Depends on how much you want to micromanage as all there is to do is take care of your workers and clean up pollution.

----
                  I play on huge maps and don't go for the quick win. I enjoy being a builder, and a destroyer when it's necessary for the good of my civ. I sort of play it as an adventure game, being my civ's steward, and my games can easily last 6 weeks or more. I am currently on only my 4th game and I've been playing 2+ hours/day average since 10/31/01 (I'm single, work office hours). I bought a 1.3GHz machine to play Civ, and while my addiction is less, I still enjoy the game enormously. For me, it's the only computer game I play.

BTW, I've seen the Limited Edition for the same price as the standard edition (CompUSA)!

Comment

Depends, if one has a GeForce type graphic card, I guess, unless some other cards have drivers that will work. My ATI did not.

Then one has to restart the computer after playing everytime.

Other than that, I am still trying to get through a game.

It will take a while since I do not have all that much time.

Otherwise, it will take some time to relearn, perhaps, over Civ 2.

It is different but not different, but harder it seems.

Little tricks, I guess, I am looking to learn to keep myself in the game.

That is on Regent level, Warlock is a little easier, perhaps.

It still is a funny game, and will get you involved, depending on what type of game you play. 5 ways to win, or different combinations, + special unit for each civ if that option is on.

Comment

Re: Should I Buy CivIII?

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                      I've only got money for one game in the next month and a half or so. Basically I'm wondering if I should pick CivIII over whatever else is out there, and so I wanted to get a feel for how much you think you like it all these months after release.

So should I buy it? Improvement over civ2, with the patch maybe? I'm also looking for a fairly detailed diplomacy model that can't be exploited all the time, unlike some of the previous ones we've seen in the civ series before. (do those portraits in the screenshots actually move or not?)

Thanks.
                      hmmm.... [...rubbing hands together...] nah, I won't!

Civ3's cool, I think you should buy it!

Charles.
                      - What we do in life, echos in eternity.

Comment

If I never see another of Charlie's posts I won't suffer from it.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmytrick
                          If I never see another of Charlie's posts I won't suffer from it.
                          You know you'll miss me.

Charles.
                          - What we do in life, echos in eternity.

Comment

maybe.

Comment

I've gotten the money's worth bigtime, and I can't think of a better way to spend entertainment money.
                              Having just returned from Las Vegas, I can see that your statement explains quite much.
                              "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

Comment

Working...
                              X