God-mode cheat code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you detect the cheater?
    That is the big question. Unless they make it obvious with their actions, we probably can't.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple
      That's fine for honorable players, but such a rule (or even a patch) wouldn't deter the unscrupulous.
      Face the fact, that if the patche fixes this (don't know if it does) all new tournaments will be for v1.17f games, and can't be oened with 1.16f or 1.07f, so the bug would not do any harm.
      Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

DP - double post

- edited out -

This DP was caused by me using 5+ IE windows, and one of them generated a Database error at my post in this thread, (54 minutes before this one), and 54 minutes after I posted I was back to that IE session, and saw the error, and hit refresh. That resulted in this post.

Now I edit the post to avoid confusing people.
        Last edited by Gramphos; February 12, 2002, 18:22.

Comment

Originally posted by Gramphos

Face the fact, that if the patche fixes this (don't know if it does) all new tournaments will be for v1.17f games, and can't be oened with 1.16f or 1.07f, so the bug would not do any harm.
          Let's hope this is the case.

Comment

Unfortunately this isn't fixed in v1.17f as we just heard about it last night. We take its impact on tourneys seriously though, so it will be fixed.

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS
              Unfortunately this isn't fixed in v1.17f as we just heard about it last night. We take its impact on tourneys seriously though, so it will be fixed.
              Jeff
              WHAT
              You can't fix something overnight
              Bummer

Thanks for the info... One of the worst things about Civ II MP was that you could open saved files with the editor, even if they were passworded... While trust and honor are wonderful things, it's just a lot easier if it can't be done
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Jeff
                Does this mean that you (Firaxians) didn't know about this? Didn't you put it in there in the first place?

-FMK.

Comment

Originally posted by Field Marshal Klesh
                  Does this mean that you (Firaxians) didn't know about this? Didn't you put it in there in the first place?

-FMK.
                  I think it was a feature only for the debugversion, but was left in the full versions.

Comment

Jeff
                    Jeff,
                    Thanks for the info; I guess this blows a big hole in the theory that the Firaxians put this in as a god/cheat mode. So does that mean this qualifies as an unintended bug?
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

For tournaments. Wouldn't winning (or showing well) taste sweeter when you know you haven't done this?

As for a *bug*. It ain't a bug. If it's a bug, I'll send Valentines to Lib and Yin. Bug's don't act like this. The problem that Firaxis has to fix is that anybody outside the core of the design team ever discovered the code. They'll probably just change it.

Salve
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)
                      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Use found for Cheat Code

I have found a good use for the cheat code. The editor doesn't have a minimap when you're creating a map, so it's not possible to get a minimap to use with the map.

So we use the cheat to get a minimap instead.

With this cheat code, you can load a game with the map at 4000 BC and use the cheat to reveal the whole map. Then all that is needed is to capture the minimap in Geography mode from the Main Screen.
                        None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                          For tournaments. Wouldn't winning (or showing well) taste sweeter when you know you haven't done this?

Salve
                          It would be nice if this was the case, but look at other on-line games (counterstrike comes immediately to mind). There will always be people, and sometimes quite a lot of people, who get off on winning using a cheat.

Comment

old 'early restart' topic w/ cheat code

in playing a game from the start with the cheat mode on, i got to see the full results of what happens when you eliminate an AI tribe early on -- i knocked off the romans in 1850 BC rushing straight at them with persian immortals. the moment i destroyed their final city, Antium, a brand new Antium was instantly created on the opposite end of my continent.

so, restarts do happen instantaneously at early ages, and they do happen in the middle of the very turn that you are on. i also found that the new Antium had a worker, archer, and spearman, as well as an instant 80 gold pieces. they ended up being much better off after being 'destroyed' the first time.

Comment

If someone relies on cheating, chances are they wont be a good player anyway, and will waste their advantage.

OTOH, if some players weren't doing too well in previous tournaments before everyone knew of this cheat, and suddenly get better... it would be highly suspicious...
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

While it's great to see your quick response, Jeff, and while I've been decrying the use of this "feature" by cheaters, I regret that the creators will lose a very useful tool if it is patched out.

On the balance, I think I favor adding an optional lock that will not eliminate the functionality of the multi.sav trick, but will let creators finish up a map, scenario, etc. by preventing others from peeking and/or modifying the finished file.

Maybe this is what you had in mind, Jeff?

Comment

Working...
                                X