Is it (or should it) be possible not to advance a space after victory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it (or should it) be possible not to advance a space after victory

The one thing that annoys me more than anything else (yes, even more than the corruption!) is the fact that is Civ 3, when my unit attacks enemy unit and wins, my unit advances to the square the enemy unit occupied.

I HATE this!

It makes it much more difficult to defend your frontier. Say you have an archer and a pikeman guarding a square along your frontier. An enemy swordsman moves next to you. You attack the swordsman with your archer and win. But now your archer runs off into that square. So you either leave it alone to get slaughtered the next turn, or move up your pikeman and mess up your defensive frontier.

This drives me nuts. Is there any way to stop this?

and what do you all think about this new feature?

I suggest holding Sid Meier or whoever designed this game hostage and force them to change it back to civ2's ways.

Comment

Re: Is it (or should it) be possible not to advance a space after victory

Originally posted by El_Gallo
      The one thing that annoys me more than anything else (yes, even more than the corruption!) is the fact that is Civ 3, when my unit attacks enemy unit and wins, my unit advances to the square the enemy unit occupied.

I HATE this!

It makes it much more difficult to defend your frontier. Say you have an archer and a pikeman guarding a square along your frontier. An enemy swordsman moves next to you. You attack the swordsman with your archer and win. But now your archer runs off into that square. So you either leave it alone to get slaughtered the next turn, or move up your pikeman and mess up your defensive frontier.

This drives me nuts. Is there any way to stop this?

and what do you all think about this new feature?

No I think this works quite well. If a unit wants to attack it can't remain sitting on the same piece of real estate, it has to move to engage the attacked unit, thus leaving it's comfortable fortified position. The only exception is long range bombardment. Or attacking with a mobile unit which can retreat after inflicting damage.

You want to erect a defensive line. Good. They are DEFENDERS, enjoying the protection of whatever terrain they occupy plus fortifications etc. You are trying to use them as ATTACKERS and as such must bear the risks that entails.

Comment

Working...
      X