Pollution woes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pollution woes...

Has anyone else had unbelievable problems with pollution?

I'm getting 5-8 polluted squares per turn. And I'm not even producing that much pollution in my cities. It takes a base time of 24 turns to clean up one polluted square!!! Here's the biggest catch though...I'm playing on Chieftan level.

In CivII, I could have built King Richard's Crusade in the middle of 10 mined hills with a factory/ manuf. plant combo and still not have a problem with pollution when playing on chieftan level (even though the city would be producing tons of emissions).

I can't imagine what pollution must be like at higher levels. Pollution always has and always will totally reduce the playing enjoyment I get from Civ (even if I acknowledge it's validity). And this is the only place where I feel I need to cheat by reducing the base time to clean up pollution from 24 to 12 turns.

What's it like at deity?

Re: Pollution woes...

Originally posted by fittstim
    What's it like at deity?
    Exactly the same.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Re: Pollution woes...

Originally posted by fittstim
      In CivII, I could have built King Richard's Crusade in the middle of 10 mined hills with a factory/ manuf. plant combo and still not have a problem with pollution when playing on chieftan level (even though the city would be producing tons of emissions).
      Generally, Civ2 was a lot easier and thus, more relaxing than playing.

As for the pollution in Civ3: It comes mainly from the population, not from production. The solution is, don't irrigate much, but mine, and build hospitals only if you discover Ecology/Recycling soon.

Comment

Re: Re: Pollution woes...

Originally posted by Skanky Burns

Exactly the same.
        But you're just a king, surely less than a deity. How would you know?

Do warlords dream of divine sheep?

Salve
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Pollution woes...

Originally posted by notyoueither

Do warlords dream of divine sheep?

Salve
          No...they dream of pollution free city squares...

Comment

I changed the base time of removing pollution to 8. Now, it's not so hard.

I must strongly object to the idea of not building hospitals. Even if you have five polluted squares in every city radius, you'll be better off with hospitals.

Oh, and keep a healthy supply of workers on every landmass to deal with pollution.

The way pollution works in Civ3 is both totally unrealistic and frustrating. A pre-industrial size-13 city may pollute an area to be more noxious than 1980's Poland.
            MonsterMan's Mod: http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/civ3/

Comment

Working...
            X