CIV3 cheaftain WASTE of shields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIV3 cheaftain WASTE of shields

On a 2nd continent I built new cities and captured cities from other nations.
    Shields were produced between 7 and 17, but they were all but 1 WASTed.
    WHY and HOW ?
    there was nothing very different from my home continent which could have consumed all those shields.

Your cities on the 2nd continent are experiencing severe corruption. The amount of corruption in a city is determined by how far the city is from your capital. Your cities on the 2nd continent are so far away from your capital that almost all of their shields and commerce are being lost to corruption.

You can help ease corruption by doing one of these things:
    - Building a Courthouse in that city (you will probably have to rush buy it)
    - Building the Forbidden City Small Wonder on a city on the 2nd continent (you will want to use a Leader to finish it if you have one)
    - Switching to a more advanced form of government (this doesn't always work and should be avoided)

Comment

Ahhhh... another one learns about the new and higher rates of corruption in Civ III vs Civ II...

Build the Forbidden Palace on the new continent... it's your only hope
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
        Ahhhh... another one learns about the new and higher rates of corruption in Civ III vs Civ II...

Build the Forbidden Palace on the new continent... it's your only hope
        Or go into the editor and change the rules.

Comment

Going into the editor and changing the rules doesn't help a game in progress.
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
            For some things it works, mainly just minor things. I'm not sure about corruption though so your probably right.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
              Yes it does.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Sorry to be cryptic.

Edit civ3mod.bic.

Edit Rules. World Sizes. Increase *Optimum Number of Cities (corruption)*. Crank it up to, oh what the heck, 256.

Save and exit.

Restart Civ3. Corruption in far away cities will be greatly reduced (to near nothing). Worked last time I experimented to answer a similar question.

Salve
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

It helps a game in progress only if you reload the game...

Anyway, building the Forbidden Palace isn't always an option since sometimes it's already built in another part of one's empire. The only option in that case is to move the Capital.

So to answer the original question, you can't do much except destroy all the other civs and win the game. Forget about having these cities as production centers. Set them to NO GROWTH (many entertainers) and build an airport. Use them as bases for addition conquest but never fool yourself into thinking that they will become large cities of happy folk merrily celebrating "We love the Statsminister Day"...

Comment

Be sure to back up your original Bic file. I've corrupted it before just by making a minor change. You don't want to have to reinstall the whole game like I did.
                    Last edited by Willem; February 7, 2002, 05:03.

Comment

Originally posted by fittstim
                      It helps a game in progress only if you reload the game...

Anyway, building the Forbidden Palace isn't always an option since sometimes it's already built in another part of one's empire. The only option in that case is to move the Capital.

So to answer the original question, you can't do much except destroy all the other civs and win the game. Forget about having these cities as production centers. Set them to NO GROWTH (many entertainers) and build an airport. Use them as bases for addition conquest but never fool yourself into thinking that they will become large cities of happy folk merrily celebrating "We love the Statsminister Day"...
                      You can always Hurry the Temple, Cathedral etc. and do it that way. It would give you more production in the long run, though it will cost you in the short term. Though it will never be full production. And a Courthouse and eventually Police Station might help as well. Might! If you're to far away from the Palace they won't.

Comment

Also, corruption does not effect culture, so if you're doing a 'culture war' or going for a cultural victory, they can help you there.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

See my thread about the suboptimal settings for the world sizes, where I demonstrate that the optimum number of cities is about 30% too low.

None, Sedentary, Roving, Restless, Raging ... damn, is that all? Where's the "massive waves of barbarians that can wipe out your civilisation" setting?

Comment

Working...
                          X