Civ III In Computer Games Magazine: Wins Game of the Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ III In Computer Games Magazine: Wins Game of the Year

In Computer Games Magazine, which just came today (I am not sure if its sister publication in England, PC Games Magazine, mentioned Apolyton)
    But on page 34 of the March 2002 issue, this is mentioned in the Strategy Science section of their Mod issue:

"... The best singel source ofr mods is the Apolyton Civilization site, whree you'll ifnd everything from a completely revised rulees set for the Ancient governments in the game to oddities like Pierre Trudeau's head for use with a custom created Canadian civilization..."

is the link- and on page 55 Civ III won the Game of the Year award
    It also won the Strategy Game of the Year award! 6 screenshots are included.
    -->Visit CGN!
    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Congrats Firaxis and Apolyton.
    Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

Congrats, Markos and Dan! Now, get ready for that tsunami of new members...

Dan
      Dan Magaha
      Firaxis Games, Inc.
      --------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
        Congrats, Markos and Dan! Now, get ready for that tsunami of new members...

Dan
        Hopefully Apolyton can take the influx well
        Thanks for posting, Dan

Here is some of the quote (I'm sure Dan has already read this ):

"The folks at Firaxis have done it again. IT would be easy to dismiss Civ III as just another iteration of a great game... But to peanalize the game for its ancestry is unfair... In some respects it's amazing the game works at all. Civ III offers the largest leap in gameplay since the series began... etc. It is about a page in length but stretches across 2 pages.

In addition, It beat out Europa Universalis II, and Ralis Across America as the Best Strategy Game.

Congratualtions Firaxis and Apolyton
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Actually, I don't think we've even seen the issue yet, or at least I haven't... who won the other categories?

Dan

PS - thanks for the news!
          Dan Magaha
          Firaxis Games, Inc.

Comment

One hand in the Industry washes the other hand. It's almost incestuous, or does Firaxis use its "influence" in the right places?!

"Game of the Year." Just read the torrent of complaints about this very flawed game on this and the other site. Just check out the number of people who want to sell Civ III on Ebay.

If the Firaxis shills and apologists want to just admit the game was rushed to market for Christmas, and that it needed more playtesting, fine - so long as a REAL PATCH is upcoming. And be sure it gives us a cheat mode and scenario-building for starters.

Better yet, let those of us with the disc send it to you NOT for a refund but for a better-developed game that addresses the scores of problems people have found with the game, problems posted en masse.

Comment

Allow me to indulge this threadjack for just a moment...

People Selling Civ III: 42

People Selling Empire Earth: 42

People Selling Return to Wolfenstein: 266

Moral of the story: there are always a lot of people selling popular, mainstream PC games on eBay.

P.S., I already answered your polite inquiry about cheat mode on Civfanatics, there's really no point in continuing to ask about it here.

We now return you to the regularly scheduled topic.

Dan
              Dan Magaha
              Firaxis Games, Inc.

Comment

As Catherine the Great, Czarina of all the Russias, remarked to me upon her election to Secretary-General of the United Nations:

Told!
                Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

I was at Best Buy today and was surprised to see that Europa Universalis II has already had its price dropped to $19.99!

Civ 3, of course, has still maintained its original price tag.

Comment

Well, Dan is right about Ebay... There will always be a lot of people selling popular games there or in any other auction site.

I bet that most of them are casual players, who buy a game, play it for three or four weeks and then move to the next game of the season.

There are a lot of people selling "Return to Castle Wolfenstein", which is supposed to have a lot of replayability due to multiplayer support... [cough, cough] Er... what was I talking about, really?
                    I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Here'es the last paragraph:

BUt the game's appeal isn't limited to new features- it's also the most polished (and prettiest) Civilization game to date. You might not immediately notice the hundreds of little tweks and adjustments Firaxis has made to combat, and Wonders and advances and more, but it all shows thorugh in play. Firaxis obviously spent a lot of time doing exactly that-- playing the game. Enhancing the stuff that works. Eliminating the stuff that doesn't. When your eyes finally start to droop and you realize that "one more turn" has turned into two, and then ten, and then one hundred or more, you're glad that they did."

The funniest thing is that their website: www.cgonline.com
                      has not yet updated with the results
                      They're a month behind their shipping
                      -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Wow! I didn't know that- I'll have to try to scan this soon-

Here are the other winners:

Best Multiplayer- Rails Across America
                        Best Action: Operation Flashpoing
                        Best RTS: Kohan: Immortal Soverigns
                        Best Technology: AquaNox
                        Best RPG: ARcanum/Wizardry 8 tied.
                        Best Online: Dark AGe of Camelot
                        Best Wargame: Bulge '44
                        Best Simulation: IL-2 Sturmovik
                        Best Add-on: Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
                        Best Adventure: Myst III Exlie
                        Best Sports: High HEat 2002
                        Best Racing: Nascar 4
                        Best Interfafce: Black and White
                        Best AI: Operation Flashpoint.

enjoy
                        -->Visit CGN!

Comment

WooHoo! Congrats 'Poly .
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Wow High Heat 2002!

That is well deserved. Even for a game that was very very poorly patched, the open customization and modding options made up for it. Can't wait for 2003...

Comment

Let's look at that from another angle.

Gamespot, 1 reviewer, gives Civ3 a 9.2 (and we all know how much time reviewers have to play games of Civ3 in their entirety):
                              9.0 - 9.9 ... "Superb"
                              A game within this range is absolutely recommended. Games that score in this range are highly uncommon.
                              Meanwhile, 3565 ratings by players themselves, and Civ3 comes in at 7.9:
                              7.0 - 7.9 ... "Good"
                              A game within this range is very good and worth playing for fans of its particular genre. While its strengths outweigh its weaknesses, a game that falls in this range tends to have noticeable faults.
                              Anybody who doesn't take issue with the 'noticeable faults' in Civ3 and, in fact, calls it Game of the Year or some other such rubbish should try playing more than 50 turns and moving on.
                              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Working...
                              X