Love This Game!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Love This Game!

So many great ideas, it's truly Civ 3.1. I've got two games that I've played with great enjoyment, often on the edge of my seat, right up to modern times. Both are on hold, waiting on a new patch to fix a few bugs, such as I can't upgrade the units in my armies...unless someone here knows something I don't? (Well ok, that's a long list)

Anyhoo, I'm sure it's been answered a million times and I hope you will forgive me for not searching through every thread, (busy w/ game 3) but (1) is there a patch in the works and if so, (2) is there a date set, even tentative, that it might be released?

Somewhere, deep in the klonky bowels of my computer, there are 2 worlds full of workmen swinging picks, digging roads, and working the land and they are stuck in their ruts for want of a few minor details. They don't want to hear about upgraded units in armies, they just want to move on to the next job....
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Patch? Yes.
    When? Who knows?

Comment

Units in armies can't upgrade, and AFAIK that's a design decision, not a bug.
      Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

Most people agree that armies are useless. You might want to create a single one because of the two culture-producing small wonders, heroic epic and military academy. But hey, build a new city with a temple and library and you get the same bonus, though for those shooting for a cultural victory it'd be necessary to build those two wonders.

While I'm on it, colonies are mostly useless too :-)
        MonsterMan's Mod: http://www.angelfire.com/amiga/civ3/

Comment

Thanks FrantzX.
          Ironikinit, a design decision eh? Hmm, aside from being unrealistic, that's no fun. I suppose they had their reasons though. Oh well...
          MonsterMan, do "most people" consider that it is rare to lose a unit in an army or the army itself when attacking, particularly when the army can contain 4 units? I consider that a benifit of no small value. To me, the armies are like rocks amid the swirling battles. A place of refuge for wounded, defeated, troops in retreat, or capable of delivering the firepower need to clear the toughest position.

I just love talking like that.

Comment

The reason was to keep the player from making a kind of Super Army that would always be able to blitz across the map throughout the entire game. As it stands, you have to use your army relatively quickly or lose its effectiveness.
            I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

I'd rather the leader just up and died once in a while. Units then free to upgrade. Killed in battle, funeral in state, body barged down the Thames, that sort of thing. Once in a while an instant protege' to take his place, but separate from the troops who could upgrade before joining the army.

Comment

Here's a way go get more bang for your leader:

Open up CivEdit. Half the cost of armies, and increase the carring capacity by one. Give the Military Academy, Heroic Epic, and the Pentagon the ability to increase the size of armies in addition to their normal abilities. Make it so that you can have one army per city. Finally, give armies the ability to blitz. For some reason, I also have them as foot soldiers, but what that does, I have on clue.

Heh, you should of seen the look on my face when an army of 4 Immortals came straight for my head. Damn Soren and his unholy AI.

Comment

this game is da bomb

Comment

Yea, right

Either people are extremely easily satisfied these days, or Firaxis hires people to come here and act as shills pumping up this very flawed and disappointing game.

I think the latter.

Comment

Either people are extremely easily satisfied these days, or Firaxis hires people to come here and act as shills pumping up this very flawed and disappointing game.

I think the latter.
                      Well, in that spirit, why not say:

"Either people are extreamely hard to satisfy these days, or other gaming companies hire people to come here and act as spoilt brats ragging on this excellent and well executed game.

I think the later."

(I think the statement made either way is absurd. But if Firaxis wants to pay me to post, I've got no objection to doing a bit of astroturfing! )
                      Last edited by OneInTen; January 25, 2002, 01:39.

Comment

Your check is in the mail. Is it OK if we pay you in Betty Crocker points this month?

Dan
                        Dan Magaha
                        Firaxis Games, Inc.
                        --------------------------

Comment

in that case. I too love this game. Can I get a check too?

Comment

Only if you know the secret handshake.

Dan
                            Dan Magaha
                            Firaxis Games, Inc.
                            --------------------------

Comment

Can I get Campbell's Soup labels in leiu of the Betty Crocker points?
                              Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Comment

Working...
                              X