We demand... Nothing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We demand... Nothing?

in my latest game i was living in fear. my empire was in 2 sections, divided by the powerful aztec, the persians were on the same continent, they had removed the romans, english and russian, and were as big as the aztecs.

eventually, the chime sound appears (don't you hate it?), of course, it's the persians coming to ask for tribute. but something was missing, on the "we want" list, there was nothing, the persians were demanding "NOTHING"! i clicked no, and they declared war on me...

why did that happen?

if you want to know how the game is progressing - once it's my turn i bought off the aztecs with gold and signed a military alliance and right of passage with them. then i charged with calvary and panzers that i was saving up for a showdown with the aztecs. i caught the persian invasion calvary stack in aztec territory, and mashed it. the persian offensive of 43 calvaries vanished within a couple of turn under the combined might of the aztecs and me. now the persians are gone, perhaps next time xerxes should realize i had been stocking up panzers like crazy

"You are in a position to demand nothing. I, on the other hand, am in a position to grant nothing..."

I'm guessing it's either a bug, or some method Firaxis was using to simulate a general threat towards you. Just speculation on my part.
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
    -- C.S. Lewis

Comment

I've had this happen to me a few times. I just reloaded, and it showed up properly. I was pretty baffled when the English came to me demanding something, but they wouldn't tell me what it was.
      The fact that no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist.

Comment

Just Firaxian PR leaking into the code.
        "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

Comment

Just Firaxian PR leaking into the code.
          It's lucky they don't have a good PR because I should think they would be put off doing anything to improve Civ 3 if they saw comments like these often.

Comment

Rest assured that the decision on whether to do anything and on what to do will rely on cost benefit rather than emotion. They have our money. The task before them is to figure out how to get more of it.

Comment

Commie.
              Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

Imbecile.

Comment

Wutang!
                  <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

This has happened to me too. But I called Mao's bluff, and nothing happened.
                    I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

They have our money. The task before them is to figure out how to get more of it.
                      True, isn't that how pretty much any company behaves?

Commie. Imbecile. Wutang!
                      Hmmm...my guess is the "Chieftain" title by my name? Can I do it too?

Idiot.

Comment

Commie
                        Oh, sorry...thought I was being beckoned

But while I'm here...why didn't you just say yes? The poor Xerxes was confused...he probably just wanted someone to talk to. It's very lonely being couped up in a big cold palace all by your lonesome...

*sigh*
                        "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                        ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                        "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
                          why didn't you just say yes?
                          both the persians and the aztecs had been demanding tributes all game long so i didn't exactly like the persians. i was building up panzers to target the aztecs (who had just fought 20+ turns with the persians thanks to my meddling), but when xerxes showed his ugly face i said "uh what the hey, i'll kill you first you freaking hippie". and i did

but that's not all. something even funnier just happened. after eliminating the persians and taking over most of their cities, i stayed peaceful until i got tactical nukes and modern armor. i was accumulating modern armor so i could finally crack the aztecs. i also declared revolution so i could switch to communism. while i was in anarchy, my city of cumae defected to the aztecs! but wait! the aztecs didn't want it so i retained control !!!

see the attached pic, anyone had this happen to them? i'm guessing it's my nukes that scared the aztecs
                          Attached Files

Comment

hmm the AI has never decided against taking one of my defecting cities.
                            "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Originally posted by romelus
                              but that's not all. something even funnier just happened
                              You posted the actual game on another thread. The city is in cultural contention. The other civ probably figured he couldn't hold it anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X