To those who played SMAC/X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To those who played SMAC/X

Nexia Biotechnologies Inc. and the U.S. Army Soldier Biological Chemical Command (SBCCOM) have made the world’s first spider silk fibers from man-made materials with properties similar to natural spider silk. Spider silk has long been admired by material scientists for its unique combination of high-performance properties including toughness, strength, lightness and biodegradability. Nexia is developing recombinant spider silk, trade named BioSteel®, for applications in the medical, military and industrial performance fiber markets.

Until quite recently, spider silk had the highest tensile strength
    of any substance known to man, and the name Silksteel pays homage
    to the arachnid for good reason.
    ^
    ^ -- Commissioner Pravin Lal,
    ^ "U.N. Scientific Survey"

Re: To those who played SMAC/X

Originally posted by FrantzX
    Nexia Biotechnologies Inc. and the U.S. Army Soldier Biological Chemical Command (SBCCOM) have made the world’s first spider silk fibers from man-made materials with properties similar to natural spider silk. Spider silk has long been admired by material scientists for its unique combination of high-performance properties including toughness, strength, lightness and biodegradability. Nexia is developing recombinant spider silk, trade named BioSteel®, for applications in the medical, military and industrial performance fiber markets.

Until quite recently, spider silk had the highest tensile strength
    of any substance known to man, and the name Silksteel pays homage
    to the arachnid for good reason.
    ^
    ^ -- Commissioner Pravin Lal,
    ^ "U.N. Scientific Survey"
    I read another article about how they genetically altered goats so that it will produce spider silk in it's milk.

I guess I should have finished reading the article!

Comment

That rocks!

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if someone one day posted an article about a macro-economic project involving most of the governments of the world to put a ship together and launch it toward the next nearest star....

-=Vel=-
      The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Originally posted by Velociryx
        That rocks!

Wouldn't surprise me in the least if someone one day posted an article about a macro-economic project involving most of the governments of the world to put a ship together and launch it toward the next nearest star....

-=Vel=-
        Yeah right! We can barely get it together on the space station. Though I'm sure one day. I was reading some interesting articles about using a huge solar sail that they're about to (have) tested. The ultimate idea is to have a high powered laser in orbit and the photons push the sail ship through space.

Comment

Unless there's been a change in the inverse square Coulomb law of electrostatic forces, photons have no mass. You'd do better to try ion propulsion.
          "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

Comment

Originally posted by Libertarian
            Unless there's been a change in the inverse square Coulomb law of electrostatic forces, photons have no mass. You'd do better to try ion propulsion.
            Well I could be wrong about the photon bit, but there's a group that was supposed to test a space sail a short while ago using light for it's propulsion. There was some sort of accident that caused damage to the sail and it had to be postponed. That was the last I've heard of it. It's being created by a civilian group of space travel enthusiasts, and the craft was being constructed in Russia. I came across the story at CNN.com about 6 months ago now, I believe.

Comment

Working...
            X