What is says on tokugawa's Lapels:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is says on tokugawa's Lapels:

The kanji on Tokugawa's kimono reads "shin ku" which is Japanese for "vacuum" (like as in no air.)

Would someone from Firaxis please explain what this is supposed to mean??

My guess is no.
    "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

Comment

lol

Comment

Originally posted by Flight
        lol
        indeed

Comment

My guess is they just picked some characters that looked graphically appealing. Not the first time North Americans have displayed some amusing messages by not knowing what they're saying.

Mind you, from my expiriences so far in the game, they're not that far off.
          Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
          http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

Originally posted by Boracks
            My guess is they just picked some characters that looked graphically appealing. Not the first time North Americans have displayed some amusing messages by not knowing what they're saying.

Mind you, from my expiriences so far in the game, they're not that far off.
            Japanese and North Americans have the most hilarious linguistic relationship, don't they?

It's a popular fashion in Japan (esp. among youth) to wear T-Shirts with "english" on them, only the english is often ridiculous nonsensical phrases

In North America, Japanese characters are pretty much picked by how cool they look, not what they mean.

The results for both are often quite amusing.

Comment

I hope there aren't many "nonsensical phrases" in the Civilopedia.

(edited for Usage Panel conformity)
              "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

Comment

Originally posted by BanastreTa

Japanese and North Americans have the most hilarious linguistic relationship, don't they?

It's a popular fashion in Japan (esp. among youth) to wear T-Shirts with "english" on them, only the english is often ridiculous nonsensical phrases

In North America, Japanese characters are pretty much picked by how cool they look, not what they mean.

I believe you are referring to the common practice of engrish...
                Documenting the Engrish phenomenon from East Asia and around the world!

Comment

Originally posted by Jezz

I believe you are referring to the common practice of engrish...
                  www.engrish.com
                  \

Yes I am .

I almost linked to that site in my last post. Funny stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by BanastreTa

Yes. "Daikatana" is another good example of horrible Japanese.

Comment

yeah
                      I saw this great t-shirt in the states a couple years ago, it was written in katakana and kanji; "watashi wa baka na Amerika-jin desu" or, "I am a stupid American" I was with my girlfriend when I saw and I just lost it. i bought it for her but didn't tell her what it meant.

But seriously though I have a question, what is up with the Japanese Leaders,, they seriously expect us to believe that the best they could come up with were Hirohito and Tojo? WWII leaders are a bit iffy. Hirohito was a puppet, and Tojo? Why not Hitler, Goering or Goebbels for the Germans? I mean where is Oda Nobunaga or Toyotomi Hideyoshi or any of the other great military leaders of ancient Japan. Firaxis definitely didn't hurt themsleves when came to doing research. And the cities list? where is Kamakura? Aomori? Hiroshima? and also Edo and Tokyo? why not have New Amsterdam and New York ofr the American cities list? Lazy, lazy, lazy.
                      Good, Bad, I'm the one with the Gun- Army of Darkness

Comment

They should have said "All your bases are belong to us."

Comment

Edo and Tokyo have both made appearances in a game I played--perhaps the Japanese haven't expanded enough in your games?
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Edo and Tokyo

Sorry, I guess I should have made my point clearer. Edo and Tokyo are the Same place, just different names. Edo was the town from which the Tokugawa Shogunate ruled Japan. The Tokugawa were the last shogunate, they ruled from 1620-1866 (I think). In 1866 the Emperor was restored to power and Edo was renamed Tokyo meaning the Eastern Capital, in the same way Beijing means "North Capital" and Nanjing means "South Capital."

Anyway what I'm saying is that Firaxis didn't bother to do much research, or very detailed research. Tokyo and Edo are the same place, like New York and New Amsterdam, or Constantinople, Byzantium and Istanbul. Same place different name. It's odd that Firaxis choose to use two names for the same city but completely ignored a number of other important cities altogether, like Hiroshima, a major city but it isn't on the list. Or Aomori, which isn't important now but was very important culturally before it got clobbered in the war. Kobe and Kumamoto also aren't on the list.

I'm sure Japan isn't the only Civ that Firaxis short changed due to their lack of research. Anyone notice that the Greek leaders (Pyrrhus excepted) are all mythical? You would think they would be able to put in some rea figures like Lysander of the Spartans, Pericles, Solon, even Belisarius, though it could be argued he was Roman. The point is Firaxis dropped the ball on this and alot of other little issues, hopefully they'll fix things in the future, but I have my doubts.

jyaa ne!
                            Good, Bad, I'm the one with the Gun- Army of Darkness

Comment

Brian Reynolds took his encyclopedias with him when he left.
                              I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Working...
                              X