Upgrade Cavalry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Cavalry?

Doesn't it seem reasonable that, if Infantry upgrades to Mechanized Infantry, Cavalry should upgrade to Tank?

Just wondering...
    Yes - it's a natural progression. Now if only I could upgrade my girlfriend to Alyssa Milano with a few new techs...
    36.36%
    No - Cavalry is formidable enough. Isn't the game easy enough already, you fool?
    25.97%
    No - Cavalry has nothing to do with armor. I think the Mech. Infantry upgrade is goofy enough.
    29.87%
    Yes - but only if the city has the "glue factory" improvement to deal with the leftover horses.
    7.79%
    Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Just 8 votes so far? Come on, people... throw me a fricken' bone here...
    Infograme: n: a message received and understood that produces certain anger, wrath, and scorn in its recipient. (Don't believe me? Look up 'info' and 'grame' at dictionary.com.)

Comment

well people have cited cases of cavalry upgrading to tanks in the 30's. But that doesn't mean it should be in the game. So I say no. It will be just another unit the AI doesn't upgrade.

Comment

That's sort of my point. Although the U.S. Army phased out the Cavalry because of the arrival of tanks, they didn't necessarily "upgrade" their cavalry soldiers to drive them.

I think Cavalry would actually upgrade to Mech. Infantry better than standard Infantry...

Comment

I don't see why not. Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't most tank divisions actually part of much older cavalry regiments?

My brother-in-law (who served in the Gulf) was a tank operator with the Queen's own Hussars, a centuries old cavalry regiment I believe.

Comment

yeah it's not like it takes a rocket scientist to "drive" a tank or fire a gun.

Comment

Originally posted by FNBrown
              Well I agree that Cavalry should be upgraded, but not to Tanks. How does a horse get turned into a Tank? I'd say Rifleman or Infantry. After all, take away the horse, and you only have an ordinary soldier.

Comment

The only problem with upgrading Cavalry to Rifleman or Infantry is the loss of movement... which is the big advantage of Cavalry in the first place, if you ask me.

Good point about the Hussars...

Comment

The only problem with upgrading Cavalry to Rifleman or Infantry is the loss of movement... which is the big advantage of Cavalry in the first place, if you ask me.

Good point about the Hussars...
                  Well yes, which is why they shouldn't upgrade to Tanks. It would be far to easy to suddenly have a powerful force. That's why they didn't allow an upgrade in the first place I'm guessing. At least with Rifleman/Infantry, it wouldn't provide any real advantage, just defensive. In my own game I'm allowing them to upgrade to Rifleman since I don't want to have all sorts of useless units in my queue when I get to the modern era. Same with my Swordsman etc.

Comment

no, no, no. the horse doesn't get turned into a tank. The men who ride the horses, now ride tanks. It is that simple. Of course the upgrade cost should be extremely high. Because steel is needed to make the tank.

Comment

Maybe the upgrade cost is reduced with the "Glue Factory" city improvement.

Comment

Maybe the upgrade cost is reduced with the "Glue Factory" city improvement.
                        I'll try it out next time I fool around with the Editor.

Comment

look at it from a playbalancing point of view and not from a historical accurate or realistic point of view.

Keep in mind: the civ that has leos workshop then sure has TOO BIG of an advantage!!! Because cavalry is the only offensive unit till tanks arrive.

If it is realistic or not
                          I mean yeah great, actually I think Civ3 should only take the real world as a model, not trying to accurately reflect every part of it.
                          Its a game after all. If you want real life, then switch off your computer

ata

Comment

FNBrown: Have you ever heard about different time zones and that some people sleep in their nights and don't hang out in Apolyton?

A clear "yes" vote, as in military history the tank forces were the true successors of the cavalry. As for the leftover horses, well, they used to die after a couple of years anyway, just don't grow the heards anymore and let the horses move the artillery (as they did even during WWII).

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                              ... Because steel is needed to make the tank.
                              Oh, really? I thought it was only oil and rubber... That's just as ridiculous as only rubber for infantry.

Comment

Working...
                              X