Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beginning to see what the fuss is about...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Random Passerby

And as to CivIII being strictly a war game, I must ask you in turn, "What the h*ll?" Sure, it works as a war game. Rush 800 horsemen and conquer the world, oh rapture, oh joy. Why fight against the whole world when the world is perfectly happy to fight against itself for you? It just needs a nudge in the right direction now and then. Ironically, I do view my playing style as taking very much after various American policies, but I fail to see how it's being a "good guy" to systematically manipulate all the other civilizations into positions of weakness. Oh, sure, it's under the pretense of benevolence, but that just makes it all the more sinister.
    What's wrong with being a good guy?

I like helping others. Too bad the game doesn't reward this, even if I'm going for a cultural/diplo win.

Wish there was a way for players like me to genuinely be able to play benevolently and not lose the game. It's just kind of against who I am.

But I'm sure there are plenty of you out there who will tell me to go find another game or that my efforts would be better spent on reality. But sometimes, it's easier to be nice to a fictional citizen icon than it is to a real-life person who annoys you!
    Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
    Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
    Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
    Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

I think the problem is the information you are given and the method by which it reverts that hurts the game. If you had any indication that the reversion was going to occur, you'd be in better shape.

One thing I'd like to see is cities that are trying to revert must first attack and kill off troops stationed in them.
      That way you could keep a citiy from reverting, it would just be painful as your troops would keep getting damaged.

Comment

I just finished a game where I didn't have a single reversion. I think it helped that my main enemy was under monarchy while I was a democracy.
        Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

You have to be aware of reversion and how it works, to be able to avoid it.

Post a game that demonstrates the problem. Let's all have a look at it.

Comment

Random Passerby,

Yours is a special situation. If you were to give it back to your ally, you do not need to quell resistance first. They will be happy to be back in the fatherland.

Comment

Random Passerby,

You just found one of the most irritating, untested aspects of Civ III.

Just wait until you play the game more. . .

"There will be a wailing and a gnashing of teeth"

Comment

Try this loss on for size.

I was conquering another continent. I took the first city and landed 10 bombers, 7 fighters, three artillery, and three cavalry with four more one turn away. The next turn, the city reverted to the US. In culture rating, I was miles ahead at number one (being a cultural/economic person) and the US, which I had super-expanded early on to push them away, had maybe 10-15 cities, the largest being size 12, the average city being 4.
                "I swear by my life and by my love for it that I will never live for the sake of another person, nor will I ask another person to live for mine."

---Ayn Rand

Comment

Working...
                X