Who should design CivIV?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who should design CivIV?

Who would you like to design CivIV? Should it be Sid again? Maybe Brian? Or a startup company that demonstrates the necessary passion for the genre?
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

Firaxis needs to move on. Gettsyburg was great, so there is still potential yet. But with Sid basically showing NO interest in the Civ line anymore, leaving it up to whoever happens to show up to work that day results in, well, Civ3 -- actually.

It would be a pity to see such a Civ4.

So my answer is: Not Firaxis.
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Only one true answer for that.

Brian Renylods(did i spell it correctly?)

anyways what is he working on now? I know he started his own company (cow something?) but havn't herd since. anyone know?

Davor

Comment

He's working for Microsoft producing RTS games. You can check the BigHugGames forum, but there isn't much activity since he hasn't announced any new games yet.
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Brian would get my vote by a large margin. I would rather see him do SMAC2 however.

For Civ4 I would like to see someone start with a blank sheet of paper and build a brand new game system.

Comment

I'd say Brian Reynolds, the guy who made Civ 2.

I think he could fix all the little details/issues in Civ3 that Sid and his programmers have overlooked.

Comment

I think he could fix all the little details/issues in Civ3 that Sid and his programmers have overlooked.
              I don't neccasarily think, at least I hope, that Firaxis overlooked the flaws of Civ3, yet, they didn't/don't have the time/money/people/resources to overcome them.
              However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.

Comment

*Yook sneaks out from behind the couch to de-lurk and say something*

Neat question. I agree with jimmytrick. I would love to see Brian do SMAC2, I think that would really neat.

Civ4...not Firaxis. I'm enjoying playing Civ3 at the moment, but not anything at all like how it was designed to be played. It's an amusing diversion, but I set it up so that everything goes down in the Ancient Age and I can just have a quick little game. It's not a Civ game for me, not anymore.

So, Civ4...I'd like to see someone else come in and start fresh. Turn-based, still. And with the scope we're used to. But with more modern sensibilities and a different perspective. Not beholden to the past. And aimed not at the hardcore nor the noobs, but at people like me, who just want to play a fun, challenging game.

-Yook

Comment

Brain Reynolds or someone like him. Anyone remember Gary Grigsby?

Sid only had one big idea and he got that off an old board game called, guess what? Civilisation

Civ III just isn't as polished a product as civ II. Its quite disappointing really. Not a true heir.

The best outcome would be for someone to take the best of Civ II and CTP II and make a new title. There's a huge opportunity there. Civ III is okay but it doesn't cut it.
                  Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

The best outcome would be for someone to take the best of Civ II and CTP II and make a new title.
                    Agreed. I wonder why Firaxis didn't approach it this way. Copyrights? Throw in a refined culture model and resources... Bliss.

Salve
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)
                    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Who should develop Civ4? Brain Reyonlds all the way. I think he did a wonderful job on SMAC. Only thing I don't like about SMAC is, a faction that builds a city a tile away from your city, takes a row of tiles from you. I find this very annoying, I have workers working the tiles and here come the Gaians, and they take away my tile

Comment

Who should develop civ 4?

Activision - that's who!
                        - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                        - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                        - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

I think a monkey in a tuxedo suit should design Civ4.

Personal opinions are great things eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Calorman
                            I think a monkey in a tuxedo suit should design Civ4.

Personal opinions are great things eh?
                            Yes, but I think that it would have to be a blue tuxedo.
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by The Templar
                              Who should develop civ 4?

Activision - that's who!
                              After they ballsed up CTP II? You MUST be joking.
                              Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Working...
                              X