Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can ANY FUTURE STRATEGY GAME learn from CivIII?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LaRusso
    that was kasandra, right?
    In German, her name is spelled 'KASSANDRA'. Don´t know about Greek, however. Ask Marcos.
    Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

I always thought the addition of Corporations would alleviate late-game tedium, especially in a game like Civ III, where conquering the world is such a chore. Don't bother! Just set up corporations in foreign cities to divert some of their gold. ^_^ It's a way to expand even after the entire world has been covered in cities.

But oh well. Corporations were too "radical" to include, I guess. Instead of adding features, Civ III got rid of stuff.

Anyway, yeah, More Is Better! More techs, more city improvements, more tile improvements, more wonders, more units, more citizen types, more features, more luxuries, and more customizability.
      "Harel didn't replay. He just stood there, with his friend, transfixed by the brown balls."

Comment

In the course of the game, retain, amplify, and multiply interesting decisions. Consolidate, ameliorate, and if possible, eschew mundane ones.
        That is like EXACTLY what I argued in my "Late Game Tedium - Discussion and Solutions" thread!

I'd sue for copyright, but I'm afraid any lawyer I hired would be intimidated by your diction... thats twice in one day you've said exactly what I want to say.

Anyway I really think that is it: maximize fun strategic decisions, minimize boring busywork decisions.

I do really like Heliodorus's Christmas comment though...
        Good = Love, Love = Good
        Evil = Hate, Hate = Evil

Comment

I Agree

I thnk the three most important lessons are:

MOdding ability- allow the player to modify some or all rules to fit their wishes. This is different from:

Choices: Give players the ability to choose distinct paths, based on thier preferences. The choices need not be infinite but they need to be substantial

Playtesting: I want MOO3, but I prefer to wait 3 more months than to get a bad title out of the box. For games in general then, wait till you think you have the game balance pretty good, and no obvious bugs, before you release it.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Working...
          X