swordsman vs tanks issue and some things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zachriel
    A city adds a great deal of defensive bonus, plus it was fortified (perhaps across a river, and maybe on a hill). Sending a single tank to take a city is not the best tactics, especially if your entire strategy depends on the outcome. Read this post about this problem:
    http://www.crowncity.net/civ3/killerphalanx.htm
    I know a single tank usually is not enough in most cases. However, This town (NOT a city, just a town without city walls, so the defence bonus is of minor importance) lied on a desert square, with no river there. Besides, I choose for only 1 tank, because besides the town I had 2 battleships, meant to weaken the defences before attacking. So this strategy could work (Actually it did work the 2nd time).
    -------------------------------><------------------------------
    History should be known for learning from the past...
    Nah... it only shows stupidity of mankind.
    -------------------------------><------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by tuckson
      I know a single tank usually is not enough in most cases. However, This town (NOT a city, just a town without city walls, so the defence bonus is of minor importance) lied on a desert square, with no river there. Besides, I choose for only 1 tank, because besides the town I had 2 battleships, meant to weaken the defences before attacking. So this strategy could work (Actually it did work the 2nd time).
      The civ calculator say that one tank v. one fortified regular rifleman on grassland is 89% or 9/10. If you knock him down to 2 hp, then your chance is 97% or 29/30.

Not every combat is strategically significant and sometimes you have to take chances in any case. That's part of the fun. But sometimes you will lose even when the odds are 99%, so having a second tank handy was good planning on your part.

Comment

Originally posted by Zachriel

The civ calculator say that one tank v. one fortified regular rifleman on grassland is 89% or 9/10. If you knock him down to 2 hp, then your chance is 97% or 29/30.

Not every combat is strategically significant and sometimes you have to take chances in any case. That's part of the fun. But sometimes you will lose even when the odds are 99%, so having a second tank handy was good planning on your part.

http://www.columbia.edu/~sdc2002/civulator.html
        Sorry, hit a wrong button. Veteran Tank v. fortified regular rifleman is 95% or 19/20.

Comment

Never run a civulator when at work. It could be dangerous to your combat results.

Comment

Working...
          X