poll on why people have dropped civ3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• poll on why people have dropped civ3

ok, here is my poll. sorry about the other thread where i lost track of what i was trying to do.

Pick ALL the responses that apply.
    The AI is irritatingly predictable. I be too gud.
    3.82%
    Late game tedium... <yawn>....
    22.91%
    Game be too hard. Hurts me head.
    0.24%
    Game's too easy, foo! No challenge.
    1.67%
    Only way win is by following one set formula.
    10.98%
    It's ugly! It hurts my eyes!
    2.15%
    It takes forever to play! I not live that long.
    9.55%
    All the annoying little things piled up. Grrr!
    19.81%
    Detached. No sense of immersion in game world.
    12.41%
    Self-imposed ban. Late for work too many times.
    2.15%
    Outside ban. "Not til your grades improve!"
    0.24%
    I'm never giving it up! It's fantabulous!
    14.08%
    Last edited by Captain; January 12, 2002, 03:45.
    Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
    Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
    Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
    Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

If you can EDIT the poll, I would vote for "Editor's not quite there yet."
    "You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

Just to say that you got a great idea of making such a poll

Personaly, I may be more precise by adding this to my response:

Useless colonies, cavalry too strong, phalanx beeting tanks, bombarding useless, no stacking, all what is flying useless, warrior destroying improvements better than a bomber, spying useless even if it is common in world, a poor editor, retrograded tech tree and retrograded government system.
      Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

everything what he said plus:

I feel detached.

I really don't feel as immersed as I was in Civ 2, even though this is a full screen game.

Comment

All the annoying little things piled up, Grrr!

What annoying little things did I pile up?

By the way, who can't add:
          Attached Files
          Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
          Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

sorry Grrr!
            I didn't mean you!

thanks for responding everyone! I'd update the poll to take into account your comments, but I don't know if I can.

did anyone find the music annoying?
            I like the ancient era tunes but it gets a little hokey later on.
            maybe should just put that under "it's ugly" category.

cheers!
            Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
            Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

i know it looks like i'm trying to bump my own thread but i'm not!

just thought I'd say, even though i've stopped playing the game, I haven't uninstalled it and I'm not planning on selling it.
              I'm holding out hope for a better version soon! then it'll be back to hours on end of hearty civving!

if you hop over to the civ 3 files section and see all the mods and cool stuff your fellow civ fans are making, you might have your hope restored too!

Comment

The poll is unfair since you can vote for multiple things the only true number is the number of people who continue to play as surely they have not voted any other point.

Comment

Hey Captain,

You left out an important choice:

zz. I spend more time reading Apolyton Forums -- talking about the game is more fun than playing it.

Looks like lots of people don't like late game tedium. I fall in that category. Played dozens of games, but I've only ever finished one. Just tooooooo sloooooooow, and nooooooo rewards for the click click click.
                  sum dum guy

Comment

The obviously correct choice is "Not Multiplayer".
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

The game is more attractive than CtP by the immersion aspect.
                      Diplomaty system is good (except no possibility for trading units).

But lake lot of CtP good point (sea improvment, staking of unit, capable sea and air unit).

Edit : Lake simple but usefull buttons like 'next city', 'next unit', 'next turn', with color inidcations. Lake the message icon, usefull and not annoying as pop-up messages.
                      Last edited by ZoboZeWarrior; January 31, 2002, 07:02.
                      Zobo Ze Warrior
                      --
                      Your brain is your worst enemy!

Comment

The single greatest fault in the game is that you can't close the window the game is in and thereby access Apolyton while playing. If that were the case these pollls would have a much more favorable result as those who like the game are playing it, not dicking around you lot.

Long time member @ Apolyton
                        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

You can minimize it.... but I haven't played the game for 2 months
                          In een hoerekotje aan den overkant emmekik mijn bloem verloren,
                          In een hoerekotje aan den overkant bennekik mijn bloemeke kwijt

Comment

Detached. No sense of immersion in game world.

and

Late game tedium.

I enjoyed it for a while, but as soon as I got something else to play, I started doing that instead and forgot all about civ3.
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Late game tedium, and 'only one way to win', not quite, but it's no where near as flexible as civ2 where you could do almost anything. The ages system etc. forces you down to linear a path, which I think is the biggest failing.

Comment

Working...
                              X