Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leader generated on defense!

I had a leader generated by defending in a game. FYI

That would seem to make sense as I have had units gain experience from defensive battles.

-Craig

Comment

I've gotten several leaders from defensive victories... many more from attacking, but that's because I do much more attacking than defending.

The best leader-generating wars I have fought have involved either:

large numbers of knights, or
      large numbers of Tanks/Modern Armor.

Multiple victories in one turn give almost guaranteed promotions. This is why Tanks and Modern Armor are great... they get to elite quickly, and have good chances of popping out a leader. Knights, on the other hand, do well on both offense and defense, so they often survive AI counterattacks, which leads to promotions... etc. Also, Knights are very good units, but they don't have quite the rush ability that Cavalry do. Consequently, it takes a bit longer to conquer people. From the standpoint of leader generation, that's good. Cav just runs people over.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I like leaders, but there is one stupid thing that happened the other day:

A barbarian Warrior attacked my cannon, and sure enough, I get a great leader Tojo! Cannons shouldn't be able to generate leaders on defence, they can't defend themselves.
        Grrr | Pieter Lootsma | Hamilton, NZ | grrr@orcon.net.nz
        Waikato University, Hamilton.

Comment

Very odd indeed, Grrr. For one thing, a cannon should lose any fight automatically, it doesn't have any hitpoints. For another, as I understand it, leaders aren't generated from fighting barbarians.

Are you pulling our leg?
          Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

Grrr.

There is no combat against a Cannon. The enemy moves, the cannon is theirs.

Are you mistaken?

Salve
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
              Grrr.

There is no combat against a Cannon. The enemy moves, the cannon is theirs.

Are you mistaken?

Salve
              I don't think so. However I don't have a savegame to check either.

Comment

No bombard unit (catapult, cannon, artillery or radar artillery) can defend itself. If a barb hit a cannon, the cannon would be destroyed (bombard units can only be captured by an opponent who has the tech to use them... math/metallury/replaceable parts/robotics). Second, battles vs. barbarians cannot result in Great Leaders - it has to war vs. another civ. You must have had a unit protecting your cannon, and that unit must have been elite, and the unit that hit it must have been foreign, not barbarian...

-Arrian
                grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                  No bombard unit (catapult, cannon, artillery or radar artillery) can defend itself. If a barb hit a cannon, the cannon would be destroyed (bombard units can only be captured by an opponent who has the tech to use them... math/metallury/replaceable parts/robotics). Second, battles vs. barbarians cannot result in Great Leaders - it has to war vs. another civ. You must have had a unit protecting your cannon, and that unit must have been elite, and the unit that hit it must have been foreign, not barbarian...

-Arrian
                  Come to think of it, this is probably a result of playing around in the Civ3mod.bic file, along with the text docs.

Comment

Originally posted by Grrr

Come to think of it, this is probably a result of playing around in the Civ3mod.bic file, along with the text docs.
                    That's not too surprising. I've had some really weird stuff occur thanks to messing with Civ3mod.bic also. The game can start to go crazy if you mess with too much (I produced a game which crashed whenever I viewed the histograph and then moved the map).

Comment

Originally posted by Stryfe
                      That's not too surprising. I've had some really weird stuff occur thanks to messing with Civ3mod.bic also. The game can start to go crazy if you mess with too much (I produced a game which crashed whenever I viewed the histograph and then moved the map).
                      That is SHOCKING! that should really go under a bugs thread!

Comment

Originally posted by Stryfe

Yeah, and don't ever mess with the worker jobs in the Terrain screen, you're just asking for trouble from the AI.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian

-Arrian
                          Aaah, so that's why I never seem to get a leader. I've been avoiding war with other Civs, so my battles have mainly been with Barbarians.

Comment

Working...
                          X