No announcement yet.

Civ3 is great!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In almost every aspect of life, disappointment is due to expectations being too high, not because someone or something is at fault.
    I've never seen a more gratuitous assertion. The counterexamples are too numerous to list. It is to laugh. Ha!
    "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

Comment

Originally posted by Libertarian

I've never seen a more gratuitous assertion. The counterexamples are too numerous to list. It is to laugh. Ha!

Well, list a few then. Or are you back to painting everything with broad, vague strokes?
      Sorry....nothing to say!

Comment

I agree, MdS. If you take a look at my "First Impressions" with Civ3, you'll see I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoy the game. Given all the comments I read in these forums, I thought it was going to be a real let down. Well, my wife and I can't stop playing it (when we have the time).

Now, MdS, you did know that you were simply inviting flame wars with starting this thread, didn't you?

Comment

Well, list a few then.
          A man who examines the withholdings on his check stub.

A woman who meets the midget that had sent her pictures of his roommate.

A child who discovers that Santa Claus is not real.

An American who finally makes it to Paris.

A gamer who plays Civ3 to its ending message box.

Comment

Stay on topic now. You'll notice that the thread is called "Civ 3 is GREAT", not "I'm a bitter bitter person who won't stop complaining somebody help me please."
            Above all, avoid zeal. --Tallyrand.

Comment

Well, I suppose that's another:

A person of dainty constitution who visits a thread and finds a view that opposes his own.

Comment

Re: Civ3 is great!

Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
                So many posts about how disappointed people are about Civ3, it really surprizes me.
                Right on dude! Civ 3 rules!!! All u have to do is compare it to civ2!! It's not often you find a game which is full of modifications and still so incredibly close to the original and always gets better!! (unlike Twisted metal series after the 2nd one). Civ never had such a good replay value. I could go on but i have to go by a beer and celebrate!!: !!( I just won the space race at regent, it was my third try)
                -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
                  If you gave it a fair chance and still think it sucks, fine.
                  Look, I did give it a fair chance. I was relatively gloomy (but not half as gloomy as I am now), before the game came out. But I was totally prepared to say: 'My initial scepticism was not confirmed; the game really turned out to be brilliant.' Think of the great image associated with being fair and objective and admitting you have been wrong.

The sad fact is, CivIII sucks like a vacuum cleaner, though.
                  Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Kraken
                    Now, MdS, you did know that you were simply inviting flame wars with starting this thread, didn't you?
                    Well, by proclaiming that I enjoy the game, of course I knew the naysayers would jump in to disagree. However, it has also brought out an equal crowd of players who like it.

Libertarian, if my statement about disappointment strikes you as gratuitous, then you apparently are one of those who don't understand it. More on topic, why on earth do you continue to post on this forum? If all you have to say about the game is bad, why are you even raining on the discussions? You've made it clear that you are unimpressed with Civ3. Do you need to repeat it hundreds of times?

Regarding the disappointments, the flip sides are:

He understands that most of what is withheld actually benefits him indirectly ( ... where did you get your handle... )

The midget turns out to be a good person, she learns to be less hung up on appearances

The child learns that his parents do even more for him than he thought

The american has good memories a very vibrant city

The gamer thinks, hey, that was fun.

It's all in how you choose to look at it.
                    The first President of the first Apolyton Democracy Game (CivII, that is)

The gift of speech is given to many,
                    intelligence to few.

Comment

Civ 3 rules!!! All u have to do is compare it to civ2!!
                      Uh huh. It also rules compared to stabbing your eyeballs with toothpicks.

He understands that most of what is withheld actually benefits him indirectly...
                      Then why not let him retain what he's earned so that it might benefit him directly? As it stands, the direct beneficiaries are those who populate the bureaucracies that suck up his earnings, keep a cut, and redistribute the remainder in accordance with what they believe to be politically expedient.

where did you get your handle
                      I oppose the initiation of force.

The midget turns out to be a good person, she learns to be less hung up on appearances
                      And deceit as well, I guess.

The child learns that his parents do even more for him than he thought
                      Right. Maybe more lies. Maybe they've lied about loving him. Maybe they've lied about how he should behave. And then there's that God thing.

The american has good memories a very vibrant city
                      Yeah. The smell of sidewalk unrinals, for example. Plus, fond memories of the undersides of French nostrils.

The gamer thinks, hey, that was fun.
                      I see. He studies the detail in the message box's texturized background and finds interesting patterns, leading to an inspirational epiphany and final enlightenment. Zat it?

It's all in how you choose to look at it.
                      I suppose you have a point. After all, masochists exist.

Comment

I agree, I like the game and think it's a great improvment over Civ 2 But I do think they need to fix a number of small issues. Like the ability to sink ships with air power and so on. I think these can be fixed in a patch or addon. But I like the underlining game
                        I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

I played Civ1 for years and loved it.
                          I played Civ2 for years and loved it.
                          I've played SMAC since it came out and still love it.

I played Civ3 for a week and initially loved it for the new features, then I reached midgame and began hating it...and I still hate it.

No matter what Civ3 is to you then in my world it's a huge letdown.

I expected a great game along the same lines as its predecesors but got a game which I regret byuing even more than I regret buying SU27 Flanker back in the early multiplayer days for its advertised MP feature (on the damn box, no less) only to find a small note inside the box saying "No MP sorry".

/dev

Comment

I must say that the exchange between Libertarian and Marquis has added some amusement in this tiresome, endless battle between the fanboys and the "whiners".

It seems that to Libertarian, the glass is not only half-empty, but the damn glass is defective as well, and the glass manufacturer should be investigated.

As for Marquis, I suspect that he is heavily dosed on Prozac. Somebody get this guy a lifetime membership to the optimist's society, please! He reminds me of the kid who got a ton of horse manure for Christmas and was dancing for joy, 'cause there had to be a pony in there somewhere.

Alll kidding aside, I think that posts insisting that "Civ3 kicks ass" or "Civ3 sucks" are both expressions of opinion and pointless. When someone says that the game has some problems, though, and proceeds to point them out, they should not be castigated as "whiners". If they are like me, they just want to get what's broken fixed.

I played a lot when Civ3 was first released and I got pretty disenchanted. It had too many glaring bugs to be considered a finished product- for example, my nuclear subs were getting sunk regularly by frigates. So I stopped playing for a couple months.

Now that the patch has been released I have come back and am trying it again. According to the list of fixes, the sub problem should be gone- we will see.

Comment

Originally posted by Brutus66
                              I must say that the exchange between Libertarian and Marquis has added some amusement in this tiresome, endless battle between the fanboys and the "whiners".
                              Well, I'm fine letting it rest. Such stuff is more appropriate for the off-topic, anyway. Two different views, two different people, no harm done.
                              As for Marquis, I suspect that he is heavily dosed on Prozac. Somebody get this guy a lifetime membership to the optimist's society, please!
                              Sorry, but no prozac needed here...
                              ...posts insisting that "Civ3 kicks ass" or "Civ3 sucks" are both expressions of opinion and pointless. When someone says that the game has some problems, though, and proceeds to point them out, they should not be castigated as "whiners".
                              Fair enough. I don't think people are whining when they actually present a topic for discussion. There are indeed legitimate things to complain about, and they should be brought up. But it turns to whining when they just vent about what a drag it is, time and time again. Good luck with your subs...

intelligence to few.

Comment

Well, I'm fine letting it rest. Such stuff is more appropriate for the off-topic, anyway. Two different views, two different people, no harm done.
                                As for Marquis, I suspect that he is heavily dosed on Prozac. Somebody get this guy a lifetime membership to the optimist's society, please!
                                No need for prozac, tho!
                                ...posts insisting that "Civ3 kicks ass" or "Civ3 sucks" are both expressions of opinion and pointless. When someone says that the game has some problems, though, and proceeds to point them out, they should not be castigated as "whiners".
                                Fair enough. I don't think people are whining when they actually present a topic for discussion. There are indeed legitimate things to complain about, and they should be brought up. But it turns to whining when they just vent about what a drag it is, time and time again. Good luck with your subs...

intelligence to few.

Comment

Working...
                                X