Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How different would civ3 have been had Brian Reynolds stayed and developed it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How different would civ3 have been had Brian Reynolds stayed and developed it?

just curious what people think

better? worse? what features would be gone or included?

This one's easy:

It would have been a Big Huge Improvement!
    I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Agreed, Civ3 would have been ALOT more better if Brian stayed.

Comment

Re: How different would civ3 have been had Brian Reynolds stayed and developed it?

I think the computer controlled rulers would behave a little more "civilized" and would (as in SMAC) distinguish themselves by more attributes (ethics, morale, belief) than just aggressiveness.

I also think that people would have more options to tune their society and industry, following important human motives and values (philosophy/religion, political belief, ecology etc.)

Altogether I believe Brian would have given us a more "human" approach to build a civilization. Civ would have been less "chess-like", where you can predict and play the game purely by physical means. The gameplay would probably have been more surprising and demanding because IMHO Brian likes the " unpredictability" of the human nature.
        Kai · Team www.civilized.de

Comment

I don't think he would have punished empire builders in the modern age by designing the game to place burdens and obstacles on them that are impossible to overcome. Yes, you can win as an empire builder, but it is about as much fun as sliding down a razor blade into a vat of alchohol.
          "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

Comment

He would have made it that once your empire reached a critical mass, every other AI would become hostile to you, refuse to trade, and declare war even if that move was suicidal for them.

Or to put it another way, Civ 3 would have been more like Civ 2 than Civ 1
            Last edited by Skanky Burns; December 20, 2001, 07:06.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

This question is not very constructive. Firaxis will have to find their own way now. When a driving force and visionary like BrianR leaves a company, filling the hiatus is bound to take time. You cannot blame Firaxis for that, it's just one of those things.

Comment

It would have been real time. This was one of the issues that caused Sid Meier's Brian Reynolds to leave. The Civ3 team of the time (now BHG) really thought Civ should be real time so that they could do multi-player. This is kind of what they (BHG) are building. (They told me over lunch one day)
                Seemingly Benign
                Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                  He would have made it that once your empire reached a critical mass, every other AI would become hostile to you, refuse to trade, and declare war even if that move was suicidal for them.
                  As opposed to Civ 3, where as soon as I have half a dozen cities everyone starts being "annoyed" with me, and will demand only trades that are totally unreasonable. And they get insulted if I refuse to give them Gems AND 100 gold per turn AND the secret of Gunpowder in exchange for their Furs. And they attack me without any unltimatum or explanation why, even if they're 90 squares away from my border and it takes half the game for their spearmen to even reach me. (Roughly the equivalent of Northern Khorea declaring war on Spain. On land, not by sea. With non-motorized infantry.) And even if they still had space for expansion closer to home. And even if as a result of previous wars declared on me, I now have 3 times the cities they have, and mine are size 12, while theirs are at most size 4. Is that suicidal, or what?

Either way, truth be told, we'll never know what it would have looked like. I could venture a few ideas, but then he'd probably have better ideas than me any time. As I've said, guess we'll never know.

Comment

Good question, Dissident! (Much better than whining about the whiners. )

Judging by CivII, I believe that Brian´s sequel would have been even more conservative, but way more solid. My guess:

-He would have fixed ICS this time.

-He would have added more buildings, techs, units and wonders, because it´s his style to throw the kitchen sink at us, and most -me included- like it.

-He would have improved the AI without making the game more simplistic.

The result wouldn´t have been revolutionary, but way better than the CivIII debacle.
                    Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

Originally posted by Moraelin
                      As opposed to Civ 3, where as soon as I have half a dozen cities everyone starts being "annoyed" with me, and will demand only trades that are totally unreasonable...
                      Generally if you have a large military compared to the number of cities, the enemy wont declare war, will accept trades that benefit you more, and will generally lick your feet.

Although i have had a 2 city civ declare war on me 1000 years after i took their capital and another city.

My main reason for being pissed at Brian is because he wasted 7 months of development time. If he was going to leave, at the beginning of the project would have been a good idea. Imagine just how much more could have been done to Civ 3 if it was in development for another 7 months!!
                      That IMO is why Civ 3 was released as rough as it was.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

-He would have added more buildings, techs, units and wonders, because it's his style to throw the kitchen sink at us, and most -me included- like it.
                        Probably, yeah. I bought this game expecting the kitchen sink, and what I got was a toilet.
                        "Harel didn't replay. He just stood there, with his friend, transfixed by the brown balls."

Comment

But lots of the features he pioneered are already in Civilization 3. Trading communications, loaning gold, unique personalities, security council (UN) votes etc all came first in SMAC.

If Brian Reynolds had designed Civ3 he would have been proud and rightly so! (Although replacing social engineering with a simplistic five government model was a big mistake.)

Comment

no one can say for sure but I think it would not have been dumbed down the way it has.

This version has more stuff taken away than new stuff put in.Gotta feeling BR would have done the opposite for the most part.
                            The only thing that matters to me in a MP game is getting a good ally.Nothing else is as important.......Xin Yu

Comment

yeah, right, mr. Brian Reynolds is a genous who would make civ3 appeal to all people.

Anyone knows the guy in person? I like his games, but he did not do one of them alone.

I think there is too much wild guessing going on here. What if he left because he wanted to make civ3 RTS? How good would he have done it in that case?

Comment

Working...
                              X