no answers just a major question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no answers just a major question

Scanned this forum everywhere also did a lot a of researching in other fora. (sidenote: even in french and german ). ok here it is and it's not about the scrolling or use which Nvidia (detonator)-driver
    system: big HD (45 Gb) lots of free space, 768 mb SDram, amd Duron 800@1000, Gerforce MX 2 220@210, switched of other programs and switch of all animations, swap and page-file sizes also changed and checked Directx 8.1. Time for a turn to finish 4-5 minutes! WHY??

Let me guess:

16 civs and Huge map, right? And the game slows down in the industrial era...

-Alech
    "Build Ports when possible. A port gives you extra resources, as well as an extra tile for a unit to stand on." - Infogrames

Comment

first two, you're right, slows down 90 bc, mid-middle-ages so that's different, btw not to be a nuisance but this doesn't answer mine question

Comment

Bork,
        What he is saying is that the lag between turns is a common experience when you are playing that big of a game (huge with 16 civs). The matrix of the interactions of the civs combined with the map size creates the time lag.

(This is what I have read. I have not personally played bigger than large map with 10 civs).

JB

Comment

Try a small map. 16 civs.

Fun.
          Short.
          little to no lag time between turns.

Sure, you don't get the distinct luxury of commanding 75 workers, or controlling 216 cities, but hey, each city carries that much more weight and personality.

I used to play big maps in Civ2, and then one day, decided that small maps generally look and play better for me.

"You don't have to be modest if you know you're right."- L. Rigdon

Comment

Well, I think I saw an answer for 'why' somewhere else. This isn't anything I discovered, but seemed to sound sensible:

The game recalculates trade routes each players turn and determines which cities have access to which resource and each luxury. With airports and harbors, this apparently takes considerable processor crunching, esp on the mammoth maps with 16 civs.

Comment

Originally posted by TrainWreck20
              Well, I think I saw an answer for 'why' somewhere else. This isn't anything I discovered, but seemed to sound sensible:

The game recalculates trade routes each players turn and determines which cities have access to which resource and each luxury. With airports and harbors, this apparently takes considerable processor crunching, esp on the mammoth maps with 16 civs.
              And don't forget when you get 100+ workers (slaves or not) on automatic (or shift + A). Those guys EAT cpu speed for a snack.
              I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

Originally posted by Thrawn05

And don't forget when you get 100+ workers (slaves or not) on automatic (or shift + A). Those guys EAT cpu speed for a snack.
                Don't agree with you yet guys
                Because of the lack of speed in civ-turn I surf and i'm downloading files in the time that civ3 is calculating.
                I play also winamp during the turn (and while playing the game).
                I don't get the impression that it matters much for the speed of the turn.
                But rule everything out i'm gonna monitor mine cpu-load, any suggestions btw for software on that subject?
                If and i say if raw power juices the turn speed i'm gonna buy myself a new mobo with an atlon XP 1600. You can see mine addiction level towards this game

Comment

Working...
                X