Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

wait, this game can be run in higher resolutions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wait, this game can be run in higher resolutions?

guys, i usually run in 1280*1024 or whatebver the hell it is and every time I load up civ3 it changes to 1068 by *. is there a way to increase the res of the game? i assumed there wasn't but i heard someone talking about it somewhee...
    And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Yes, but it's bit of a pain to do so since the Video Mode setting doesn't work. So the only way around it is to:

1. Edit the file 'civilization3.ini' in your Civ3 directory and add the line "KeepRes=1".

2. Set your desktop resolution to what you desire, e.g. 1600x1200.

3. Play Civ3, and it will run at the same rsolution as your desktop.

Hope this helps.

Comment

looks pretty nice in 1600x1200 (my normal desktop size), except the units are hard to make out sometimes. but well worth it. too bad it only applies to the main map

thanks Jing
      Project Leader of Civiliza, an Alternative Civilization game based on Civ 2.

Comment

I tried that setting to get it to stay in 800x600 mode but it didn't work; always jumped up to 1024x768 anyway. Couldn't get 640x480 to work either.

Comment

thanks guys
          And God said "let there be light." And there was dark. And God said "Damn, I hate it when that happens." - Admiral

Comment

Aurochs: it doesn't help with lower resolutions. Sorry.

Comment

Indeed you can run in higher resolutions! However, rather than having this changeable in the program, we harken you back the days of yore, when you get to edit an .ini file, just like in 1995...

Come on Firaxis, incorporate this into the damn program already!

I think the problem is this may have been too heavily based on SMAC code which also didn't have in game screen options (however, it did choose its highest resolution if you already were running at it).

My final screen request...how about a freaking window?

Venger

Comment

You can run it in higher resolution, but beware of patch 1.16f bugs (like Diplomacy Advisor bug) wich manifest in higher resolutions.

I don't recommend highier resolutions unit patch thing is patched.

Comment

yeah i'm back down to running it in 1024x768 already, just because i want everything to take up the whole screen. it's not that hard to get different resolutions into a game. it takes a bit of time but come on, what other major game doesn't let you change resolutions? (this can also be applied to the whole multiplayer thing. )
                  Project Leader of Civiliza, an Alternative Civilization game based on Civ 2.

Comment

Civ2 can be run in any resolution you want because it has a normal windows interface.

Not bad for a game 5 years old, eh?
                    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Working...
                    X