the queue eyesore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the queue eyesore

Anyone noticed the bold queueing instructions in the city production window?

i can't believe there were so many people who had no clue how to queue stuff made this happen in the patch. It's an eyesore now, or maybe its just because it's so new...

any thoughts anyone?

It could be butt ugly for all I care, if it actually were a decent build queue, with things like moving items up or down in the queue, inserting an item at the head of the queue (pushing everything else back one), or managing multiple cities at once.

This BQ makes the one in CTP2 look like a work of user interface genius by comparison.
    "When all else fails, a pigheaded refusal to look facts in the face will see us through." -- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay Melchett

Comment

I agree it's an eyesore. I admit I couldn't figure out how to use the queue at first, but then I looked in the book... no big deal though.

Comment

Ok, I love using the building queue. However there is one thing that I cannot figure out. Once you put something on a queue, how the heck are you suppose to take something off of the queue??

I mean in my last game I selected a bank to be produced, then I accidentally added the Smith Trading company to the queue. I didn't even intend to build this wonder in that particular city, I wanted to build it somewhere else. Since the game thought that I was building the wonder somewhere else, I couldn't select it in the city that I wanted. I was trapped until my city had finished that stupid bank.

There is no reference in the book, civilopedia, or anywhere else that describes the method of removing something from the queue. I even tried various key combinations hoping that it would be resolved. Eventually I simply loaded an autosave game and didn't make the same mistake twice.

What idiot makes a queue that you can add items to, but can't rearrange, delete or clear the stupid thing. I love Civ 3, it is a very well designed game, but this is just bad design.

Comment

Click on the queue. Now hit the delete button on your keyboard. poof! item gone.

funny, i couldn't find this in the manual.
          By working faithfully eight hours a day, you may get to be a boss and work twelve hours a day.

Comment

weird that this thread became a whining one. I was hoping to see what others thought about the bold queue indicator.

I wonder though, how many people actually did want to get that change done, or even how many people e-mailed firaxis asking how to set up a queue. I do remember seeing a few threads concerning how to set up a queue (a minority of complaints/questions overall) and I admit it took me maybe a few minutes of tinkering to figure it out , but the bold thing is just a bad move.

It doesnt fit with the rest of the city view, totally out of synch with the very well balanced look the city view had before. Woops, I'm whining now but like I indicated above, I'll get used to it I wager. I've only played a few hours since I installed the patch though.

Comment

To be honest, I've been playing with the patch all day, and I haven't even noticed said instructions...

I'll take your word that they're there, but since I haven't even NOTICED them, I can't really say they bother me.

Then again, I tend to do most of my building through the pop-up window, so I don't look at that part of the City screen all that often... hmm. Maybe I'll go take a look.

- Ash
              There is a thin line between insanity and genius. I have erased this line.

Comment

unweildy before...and after

The "info box" doesn't add anything to the interface. There are other things I would have liked them to give me pointers on.

Another way you can change things in the queue (I had to figure this one out through trial and error) is to click on the item, and select another. It replaces the item highlighted. Semi-intuitive, I guess.

K
                "You are, what you do, when it counts."

President of the nation of Riis in W3's SimCountry.

Comment

I too feel that way smelly- its a bit OMINOUS.

Comment

Working...
                  X