Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to play on Earth map with all correct locations in 30sec

Hey,

I'm writing in here because I guess many people want to play with all civilizations in correct starting positions. It's really easy to do so. That's why I won't post saved games, this way, you would play with the civilization, the rules and the difficulty level you want.

Message Edited:
    It's now even more easier than ever !
    There's only ONE file to download, the map above. It's a self extractor that will automatically install every files in the correct folders.

What to do to get correct locations:
    1- Open civ3, choose new scenario and then marla's map.
    2- Choose your rules to play and save the game in 4000BC as FIX.SAV
    3- Go on the start menu and click "correct start positions" (no need to quit civ3)
    4- Load FIXED.SAV

Note: You really need 30 seconds to do it and when you load your edited saved game, you're not in the black and you don't see the map where you used to appear on the first time.

Thanx to Vonotar for that version. I would also like to thank Gramphos cause he already helped a lot with his copy tool before.[/I]
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Marla; December 11, 2001, 21:56.

Here's a snapshot of the earth map I'm talking about:
    204x256 map, version 1.10 (5th version) - 16 civilizations
    Attached Files

Comment

Merci!

J'aime bien la carte du monde!
      Si c'est Dieu qui a créer le monde..
      et bien c'est le diable qui le commande.

Comment

Why didn't Firaxis done such a nice thing for us?...

Simple option... Doesn't seem that hard since us, simple fans, are able to do it. Maybe they didn't had the time to do it before it was time to put the game on the shelves?...
        Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Originally posted by Trifna
          Why didn't Firaxis done such a nice thing for us?...

Simple option... Doesn't seem that hard since us, simple fans, are able to do it. Maybe they didn't had the time to do it before it was time to put the game on the shelves?...
          maybe they just don't care. i still want this fixed before the mac port is done.
          Prince of...... the Civ Mac Forum

Comment

The Civ3 editor has been made really fast to me.
            - There's no possibility to designate the civilization that will start here.
            - There's no possibility to put cities and units to the map (which is quite more important than roads or irrigation when you build a scenario).
            - There's no minimap in the editor ! There's not even a zoom !!
            - You can't make run a custom mod with another custom map !! For example, I had to add new city names to the file of the map to have that, It's not possible to load the mod with city names added.

Comment

Thanks really much. The only thing I needed in pach was this and they didn't make it. I am glad that there is someone who actually understands what civ3 has to be like. They should hire you in civteam and kick everyone else out =). Though one question is this the converted civ2 map or the ****ty civ3 map. ( havent got time to play yet) ?

Comment

Well, what I did and I like to play a lot is to remove ALL player start positions from the Huge earth map, then place one were Rome would be. Them place barbarian camps all over the world, then go to the editor and turn off any bonuses you might get when battling those pesky barbarians, and set them to raging mode. Now start the game and play as the Romans. If the game says you won (since you're the only civ) just click on the option to play some more. Now do what the Romans did, destroy those barbarian tribes!!!

For a little more fun, try to place each city exaclty, or at least near wher the city was originaly located in the real world.

And remember: ROMA VICTOR!
                I drink to one other, and may that other be he, to drink to another, and may that other be me!

Comment

It's not a converted civ2 map, it's not an improved version of the original map, it's a fully new created map.

Actually, the map size has been edited. It's 204x256 which looks quite big I must admit. BUT! In here land/sea ratio is respected: ocean fills around 2/3 of the map.
                  So compared to a 180x180, there's not really more land (I agree it remains huge).

I've made a huge plan of the map on paper to get a fully proportionated map (the original map is the Miller's Cylindrical projection of the earth, which looks to me like the most accurate one for Civ3... knowing that the Civ3 map is actually... a cylindar).
                  Ressources allocation has been made as a balance of accuracy, esthetic and of course gameplay.
                  Well, I advise everyone to read the readme files for more information on the map. You can get a general view of the map simply on opening it through the map editor.

Comment

Marla,
                    I had some trouble using your mods....Maybe I'm an idiot, I don't know. Which cpf files do you use, and what exactly do you do with them? thanks.

Comment

Marla:

You rock! Your map is awesome, and I'm having SUCH a great time playing on it (my first game on this map is, of course, as the French, in your honor) Anyway, I just wanted to chime in and let you know that I think the map is absolutely fantastic!

And the "don'treadme" file is well done too....not that I read it of course.....no. Absolutly not.

-=Vel=-
                      The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

NOTE: To XP or Patched Civ3 users:

Well, I've heard that people got issues to make run Gramphos CopyTool properly with xp or the patch.

Here's another way to get the correct locations using Mortioso's Civbreed :

1 - Save your 4000 BC game as FIX.SAV
                        2 - Go back to windows.
                        3 - Run the file run_this.bat in the saved game folder.
                        4 - Launch civ3 and open the new saved game FIXED.SAV

INSTALLATION: Normally when you extract the zip it installs every files in the correct folder, you don't need to download anything else than this zip to make it works, everything is here.

=> If the extraction doesn't install everything in the correct folder, here's what you should do:

you must create folders to make it works:
                        1- Inside the Civ3 folder, you must create a folder called: EXTRAS
                        2- Inside the Extras folder, you must create two folders: MARLAMAP and CIVBREED

After, you must put each files in the good folder:
                        1- Civbreed and its readme in the CIVBREED folder
                        2- Marlamap.c3b in the MARLAMAP folder
                        3- run_this.bat in the SAVES folder
                        4- Marla.bic and its readme in the SCENARIOS folder

Normally the extraction does that already, you don't have to do all that unless it didn't extract it correctly.

Thanx to Vonotar for this alternative

Here's the zip folder you should download:
                        Edited Message: The file has been removed since a newer version is available on the top of the thread.
                        Last edited by Marla; December 12, 2001, 15:35.

Comment

I'm having a problem with your Earth map (which looks very good by the way). The problem is this... the science doesn't work. What I mean is, you can't choose which project to research from within the science advisor screen. Anyone else have this problem?

Cheers,

Dr. Charm

Comment

okay, Marla....now I'm really confused. I don't have civbreed. If using it is easier I'll try, but where can I get it? I assume from the files forum, right?

Comment

Okay... civbreed is included in the last file posted...

Well, Vonotar is preparing a self extractor file that will automatically put every files in the correct folders. It will be even more easier to put correct locations, just a click in the start menu.
                              He already send me a version but it don't work totally, that's why I won't post it now. But I'm sure the result will be neat.
                              Just wait a bit... that version will certainly be here on tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X