Bugs in Patch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugs in Patch

I downloaded and installed the v1.16f patch last night on a Windows 98 machine, p400 processor and adequate RAM (thoug the precise number escapes me). I have since noticed the following bugs and one unannounced new feature.

BUGS:

1) Settler radius no longer displays. I have only had a chance to observe this in the ancient area, but I'm quite certain it's true throughout.

2) Lines of relation do not display on the foreign advisor page when you load a saved game. NOTE: I do NOT mean they do not display when you load a saved game from a previous version. I started a game under the patch last night, then reloaded it this morning, and the lines of relation were gone. ALL saved games will probably experience the problem. It's almost certainly a side effect of the fix disallowing display of relation lines involving civs you haven't met.

3) The Civil Disorder popup does not always display. I can't figure out what conditions are required for it to show up.

4) The Golden Age end message now displays a turn late.

5) The message indicating that a ship sank in treacherous waters does not display when a galley sinks in the ocean after the Great Lighthouse is built.

6) The upgrade message ("Our ship has become elite") displays over the ocean square where the enemy was destroyed and disappears before the boat concerned moves into it.

7) Notification of resistance does not always display.

UNANNOUNCED FEATURE

1) When taking a city of size 1, you are no longer given the option to occupy or raze it. The city is destroyed automatically.

Would people please do me the favor of trying to verify these? Firaxis folks, do you know anything about these?

The settler radii and advisor lines are minor graphical errors caused by the bad initial version of the patch. To help everyone out, could you redownload the patch from Apolyton, run it twice (the first time uninstalls the bad patch, second installs the proper patch), and check these bugs? Most will probably not exist in the correct v1.16f patched game.

Comment

Another possible bug:
      I captured Washington (which had the Pyramids and Great Library) but after the resistance ended and the city returned to normal, neither wonder is accruing any culture points. Has anyone else noticed this?
      Walk softly and carry a big stick...or better yet, a remote controlled nuclear device.

Comment

i've stopped getting the "your people want to expand the palace" message, but i'll go to view the palace from the button on the bottom right, and i can do like 5 upgrades at once...

Comment

Captured wonders are not supposed to produce culture. This is normal.

-Sev

Comment

Re: Bugs in Patch

For the record, I have the second version of the patch.

Originally posted by Bad Ax

BUGS:

1) Settler radius no longer displays. I have only had a chance to observe this in the ancient area, but I'm quite certain it's true throughout.
            Partly true. The radius displays, but it´s not centered on the settler. For me, it displays a couple of tiles down and to the right.

2) Lines of relation do not display on the foreign advisor page when you load a saved game. NOTE: I do NOT mean they do not display when you load a saved game from a previous version. I started a game under the patch last night, then reloaded it this morning, and the lines of relation were gone. ALL saved games will probably experience the problem. It's almost certainly a side effect of the fix disallowing display of relation lines involving civs you haven't met.
            This happened to me too when I continued a game started with the unpatched version and the continued after the patch. Once I started a game with the patch though, I haven´t seen it and I´ve saved and loaded the game a couple of times.

3) The Civil Disorder popup does not always display. I can't figure out what conditions are required for it to show up.
            Haven´t seen this one. It seems to work for me and is really handy.

4) The Golden Age end message now displays a turn late.
            Again, I didn´t notice, but that was probably just me

5) The message indicating that a ship sank in treacherous waters does not display when a galley sinks in the ocean after the Great Lighthouse is built.
            This one I wouldn´t know...I don´t build the Lighthouse.

6) The upgrade message ("Our ship has become elite") displays over the ocean square where the enemy was destroyed and disappears before the boat concerned moves into it.
            I haven´t engaged in that much naval warfare, so this one I haven´t seen.

7) Notification of resistance does not always display.
            It has worked for me this far, as far as I know.

UNANNOUNCED FEATURE

1) When taking a city of size 1, you are no longer given the option to occupy or raze it. The city is destroyed automatically.
            Verified. I noticed this too and I like it. Just like Civ2 and SMAC.

Would people please do me the favor of trying to verify these? Firaxis folks, do you know anything about these?
            OK

PS. I have to say that I really like the new prefs. for disabling/enabling some of the unit moves. The game flows much faster and sometimes it´s even to fast!

/Ced

Comment

The patch installing

Originally posted by Xentropy
              The settler radii and advisor lines are minor graphical errors caused by the bad initial version of the patch. To help everyone out, could you redownload the patch from Apolyton, run it twice (the first time uninstalls the bad patch, second installs the proper patch), and check these bugs? Most will probably not exist in the correct v1.16f patched game.
              I found out that if you do not uninstall the entire game you loose some graphical boxes. The patch is crashing repeatedly on my machine. I build computers for a living I know my hardware is top of the line. I understand that Sid only put his name on the product really did not over see the programmers. Just gave general points of how the game play should be. I doubt you would hear anyone at Firaxis mention that. They lost all their major programmers when Brian and Tim left. I would be much happier if this DAMN patch at least fixed somethings. What is it with the Lighthouse wonder not allowing me to cross oceans? That was the whole point of the wonder (plus one extra movement point) I thought. Other major bugs if you play with the editor by say placing to many bonuses for a civ it will crash when you build a city.
              I want to know who the hell is testing for them? Some idiot for sure, Alpha Centauri was riddled with bugs and after 3 patches it still has a few real annoying quirks. I sure hope they stick with this game and fix it. I want my moneys worth, buying the LE version was a mistake!

Desert Dog
              Thanks ~ Desert Fox (Real Nickname)
              Fleet Admiral - NeoTech Games Network - Game News & Game Modding Community

Comment

UNANNOUNCED FEATURE

I don't like this "UNANNOUNCED FEATURE" either!

First, why would taking over a small city destroy it automatically, there should be a choice to either raze it or try to keep it under your control.
                Come on Firaxis, get back to work and fix this, and a few other things Bad Ax mentioned.

I will say that I like most of the changes that the patch did implement, kudos on those, just get the other stuff working the way it was before.

Comment

The 'no diplomacy lines' bug is a confirmed and very serious bug.

Comment

Significant, certainly.
                    "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

Comment

I was experiencing the Settler-Radius-Display Bug and the Foreign-Advisor-Screen-Relationship-Lines Bug, but after rebooting my machine these two features are working normally.

I have taken six size 1 cities from the Japanese and have had the option to keep them [and have kept them] each time. They didn't start out as size 1 cities, though; they were bombarded down to that size, and maybe that makes a difference.

I believe that the City Disorder Warning only comes up the first turn that the city enters disorder. Once it has told you the first time, I guess the advisor figures it's the boss' problem to worry about.

Comment

Soren suggested that if you have all of the enemy moves and animations and whatnot disabled that the endgame plays much fatster. Don't know that I can call this a bug, but it was still taking me 2-3 min between turns, approx where it was before the patch. (And yes, I actually did disable all of that stuff)

Comment

UNANNOUNCED FEATURE

I noticed this last night and was not pleasantly surprised by it.
                          I wanted to take a city and gift it to the Russians (Since it was theirs to begin with, but had been taken by the Persians). When I took it however, it was size one and vanished without any prompt whatsoever. Needless to say, I was not happy.

Can someone from Firaxis say whether this is a bug or a feature?
                          To each his own...

Carpe Diem

Comment

Originally posted by Taian
                            Another possible bug:
                            I captured Washington (which had the Pyramids and Great Library) but after the resistance ended and the city returned to normal, neither wonder is accruing any culture points. Has anyone else noticed this?

Captured wonders do not create culture.
                            To each his own...

Carpe Diem

Comment

Re: Re: Bugs in Patch

Originally posted by Gatlin

I noticed this last night and was not pleasantly surprised by it.
                              I wanted to take a city and gift it to the Russians (Since it was theirs to begin with, but had been taken by the Persians). When I took it however, it was size one and vanished without any prompt whatsoever. Needless to say, I was not happy.

Can someone from Firaxis say whether this is a bug or a feature?
                              Probably not a bug, this was standard in civ 2, and also, it doesn't always destroy it. I think there is always now a chance of pop. loss when you kill a defender. No idea how big the chance is, but so far it seems to be at least 50%.

Comment

Working...
                              X