Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how to make units disappear

Originally posted by ak
    I just took an enemy city after a hard fought and planned battle. So a couple of turns later, the city deposes my governor - with 10 of my units garrisoned in it. OK, now that ticked me off, but I'm thinking, well that's the culture thing, so I'll deal with it. Next turn I take the city back again with some adjacent units and my worst fears were realized. The garrisoned units *vanished*. We're talking mucho shields into the ether. Boy - I felt like putting the game on the shelf and going back to a normal life, right then and there. But wait, surely there must be some logical explanation as to why that happens...........NAH!
    Either the units were destroyed when the governor was desposed (not sure if this is what happens) or, more likely, the AI could have disbanded the units in order to add shields to whatever it wanted to build.

It's not impossible for your units to vanish as the AI could have done something during it's turn.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989
    AIM/YAHOO: Vonotar1975 MSN/EMAIL: vonotar@lastlands.org ICQ: 123236923

Comment

A library is better to build for culture then a temple. It only takes 3/4 of the time and gives +3 culture rather then just +2 for a temple.
      Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

So Darknight, you play a scientific Civ, for the others, the temple is cheaper.
        "Don't know exactly where I am"

Comment

Originally posted by Darkknight
          A library is better to build for culture then a temple. It only takes 3/4 of the time and gives +3 culture rather then just +2 for a temple.
          But revolts are more likely in cities with unhappy populations and temples help more than libraries in that manner. Not sure how much though so I guess it depends on how unhappy the city is as to whether a temple or library is better. It still doesn't make sense though. I can't imagine the Mongols getting kicked out of Kiev because they failed to build a temple or library.

Comment

Re: Re: how to make units disappear

Originally posted by Vonotar

Either the units were destroyed when the governor was desposed (not sure if this is what happens) or, more likely, the AI could have disbanded the units in order to add shields to whatever it wanted to build.
            I fail to see how entire armies can suddenly vanish though. If they were destroyed then by who? If by the citizens of the city they garrison should they be allowed to fight back? Why is there no battle? Even if victorious the city should lose population points and some of the troops should be able to retreat (especially cavalry and tanks).

It's not impossible for your units to vanish as the AI could have done something during it's turn.
            I do not feel comfortable with the idea that the AI can mysteriously make my armies vanish and cities convert. Culture is a good concept but Civ3 takes it too far. How many cities have changed sides in history due to culture?

Comment

Re: how to make units disappear

Originally posted by davwhitt
              I fail to see how entire armies can suddenly vanish though. If they were destroyed then by who?
              I do not feel comfortable with the idea that the AI can mysteriously make my armies vanish and cities convert.
              Umm, pick a city, pick a unit in the city, right-click, choose disband

Unit disappears!

There's nothing to say that the AI isn't doing precisely this straight after the city switches from you to it. After all if the troops are captured when the city converts it would actually make sense to disband them for shields as they would still have their original nationality.

When you regain the city on the next turn the troops are gone.
              "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristian Wilson, Nintendo Inc, 1989
              AIM/YAHOO: Vonotar1975 MSN/EMAIL: vonotar@lastlands.org ICQ: 123236923

Comment

Re: Re: how to make units disappear

Originally posted by Vonotar

Umm, pick a city, pick a unit in the city, right-click, choose disband

Unit disappears!

There's nothing to say that the AI isn't doing precisely this straight after the city switches from you to it. After all if the troops are captured when the city converts it would actually make sense to disband them for shields as they would still have their original nationality.

When you regain the city on the next turn the troops are gone.

Simulations are suppose to mirror, as closely as possible, reality. Does anyone seriously think in 1939 Parisians could have overthrown the Wehrmacht and turn their tanks into an addition to the Louvre? Also, from my experience when I capture an enemy town with culture I do not get extra shields.

Comment

A simple deduction

The rioters have eaten the enemy army.

Gawd its so obvious. Didnt you notice after re-taking the city that the citizens were smiling with red liquid smeared across there mouths ?

Sheesh.

Comment

Working...
                  X