The Great LE Scandal, Infogrames elevates it to new heights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Great LE Scandal, Infogrames elevates it to new heights

Okay, I did not want to start a new thread on this, but the previous one got buried in avalanche of 'Civ is broken' posts. It got almost 8000 views and normal people tend to avoid threads with several pages because they tend to develop into flamefests and trolling orgies. So here is the sequel. You may find the original thread here

I decided to write to Infogrames and ask them about the inexcusable lack of designer's notes in the LE.

(my letter no 1.)

Dear Mrs. Bushkin,

On behalf of a number of dissatisfied customers, I would like to draw your attention to the following case of false advertising and serious customer misleading your company committed in the recent months.

Thousands of Civilization fans bought Civ3 Limited Edition, not only to admire its tin box of bearable quality, but much more because it was advertised to include 'Designer's Notes by Sid Meier and Jeff Briggs'. Some of us undertook additional effort to have the game delivered overseas. Those boxes arrived quite some time ago, but none of us could find the advertised Notes.

Since there has been quite a disturbance on Civ3 fan forums regarding this issue, I would greatly appreciate if you could let me know what Infogrames plans to do to remedy this situation and prevent further damage to its reputation among its customers.
    after finally turning her out of office autoreply off, mrs. bushkin first sent a kind of inhuman message corporations are so fond of (they actually train their employees to produce them en masse)

(Infogrames letter no. 1)
    Thank you for your e-mail and for bringing this matter to our attention. I have forwarded your e-mail on to the appropriate people within our company and assure you that they will look into this immediately. I will keep your e-mail address so that we can contact you when we have an answer for you.

Sincerely,
    Nancy Bushkin
    Vp, Corporate Communications
    and contact they, actually, she did! just look at the incredible answer i got from them. not only is it insulting to anyone's intelligence, but it also tries to elevate that crappy little 'tempus fugit' letter we got from sid and jeff to the status of 'designer's notes'

We have looked into your complaint and have tracked down the following information: While we are not aware of the advertising you mention, we did list the contents of the Limited Edition on certain online sites prior to the launch of the product. That listing indicated that there would be a note from the game's designers included in the product. To our knowledge, every copy of the Limited Edition included a one-page letter from Sid Meier and Jeff Briggs. If you -- or any of the other customers you mention -- did not receive this letter in your Limited Edition packages, please let me know and we will make certain that
    copies are sent out immediately.

I hope this answers your questions. If we can be of further assistance, please let me know. Again, thank you for your interest in and support of the Civilization franchise.

Sincerely,
    Nancy Bushkin
    VP, Corporate Communications

i bothered that much to reply the following

Dear Mrs. Bushkin,
    I am rather astonished that the Infogrames is not aware of the advertisement, since it has been printed at the back of the Limited Edition tin box. Also, the advertising specified "designers' notes"(plural) and not a "designer's note" or "designers' note". Moreover, since the Infogrames is well aware of the meaning of certain words in the gaming business, it surely does know that 'designers' notes' represent much more than a supposedly personal note from Sid Mayer and Jeff Briggs. Designers' notes are usually a rather thorough account of the makers on mechanics, making and working of the game that enables fans to get that extra info they would otherwise have to dig for themselves. Most of the Civ3 fans bought Limited Edition precisely because of that and they are rather disappointed at your the way Infogrames treatment. Since there has been quite a discussion about that on fan forums, I suggest that your company sends official explanation (but a real one) and/or apology to Apolyton, biggest Civ3 fan site online. You may send your communication
    to markg@apolyton.net
    i got no reply to this yet. scientist wrote another letter to infogrames and you may find it here

. i tried to ask mark to post this as a newsitem but he (for the first time since i joined polly) simply ignored my PM. mark, if you do not want 'hate threads', that's fine. this, however, is not a hate thread. i am actually sick of people claiming that civ 3 is broken. i absolutely love playing it and i have no major gripes. what i absolutely dislike is infogrames attitude. i say we first start an email campaign to mrs. bushkin. email campaign is nothing illegal, so you need not worry....

if any of the LE purchasers think that i am overreacting, please let me know. i am amazed that they cannot even write 'sorry'.
    if you do think that i am right, please write them to

nbushkin@us.infogrames.com
    Last edited by Fidel; December 3, 2001, 04:23.

since you've decided to start a new thread, i've closed the old one.

Dan posted the original news item so i forwarded your pm to him....
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

thank you. sorry if i misunderstood your silence.

Comment

Re: The Great LE Scandal, Infogrames elevates it to new heights

Originally posted by LaRusso
        if you do think that i am right, please write them to

nbushki..@.....ames.com

if they fail to properly address this, we may contemplate other steps, such as class action.....
        Well posting the e-mail address IMO is kind of reckless. Within a few weeks, if not a few days, that bushkin email box will be filled up with so much junk, flames, praises, marriage proposals, and who knows what else, that legitimate e-mail will be more than likely ignored.

Not that I'm bashing what you're doing, in fact do what you need to do. False advertising is wrong, and it's a shame that infogrames mislead thousands of devoted civ fans like that.

I've always thought infogrammes was okay as far as game publishers go, but recently dark marks just seem to keep pilling up on them. See what greed does?

Comment

Re: Re: The Great LE Scandal, Infogrames elevates it to new heights

Originally posted by smellymummy

Well posting the e-mail address IMO is kind of reckless. Within a few weeks, if not a few days, that bushkin email box will be filled up with so much junk, flames, praises, marriage proposals, and who knows what else, that legitimate e-mail will be more than likely ignored.

Not that I'm bashing what you're doing, in fact do what you need to do. False advertising is wrong, and it's a shame that infogrames mislead thousands of devoted civ fans like that.
          smellymummy, i also manage a general email addy for the university. whoever wants to rant at us, rants to me. it is manageable. if she ignores the emails, we will switch to another corporate contact. greed does take you far, but only so far.

Comment

LaRusso - I don't think you are over-reacting.

What you are saying needs saying.

Misrepresentation of goods is illegal in most countries and I think you have a good case for these "Designer[']s['] Note[s]".

I think an analogy of the meaning of Designers Notes vs. the poor excuse which actually came with the LE would be something like, in this imaginary advert for a new car:

"The new Ford Pinto carries the latest developments in fuel system monitoring and driver feedback" i.e. it has a petrol gauge.

What b*llsh!t!

Fight on, I say.
            Slocombe
            "Good? Is 'e good? 'E's a fackin' liability!"

Comment

Originally posted by Slocombe
              "The new Ford Pinto carries the latest developments in fuel system monitoring and driver feedback" i.e. it has a petrol gauge.
              Hehe, that one ended with punitive damages.
              If you want to help, please send them an email or two (of course, if you are a LE buyer). I know that the right amount of angry mails inevitably makes them talk a bit differently.....

Comment

I am also annoyed that there was no special scenario in the LE as promised. There are no scenarios at all, but that's another story. I heard someone say that the talk of a special LE scenario stopped before shipment, but I bought the LE before I heard that the scenario wasn't included, and I imagine a lot of other people did as well. Very dishonest, and I can't imagine ever buying another Infogrammes game.

Comment

As i'm sure you have seen, IGs response to acts that were hardly even questionable resulted in legal action. They set the precident, but you should follow "suit". Some nice class action litigation is more than fair. How many LE games were shipped? multiply that by the, what, $10-$15 price difference and make IG pay for their false advertising and deceptive practices. Seriously, you should look into it!
                  "Mal nommer les choses, c'est accroître le malheur du monde" - Camus (thanks Davout)

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."

Comment

I've always thought infogrammes was okay as far as game publishers go, but recently dark marks just seem to keep pilling up on them. See what greed does?
                    Greed? What's wrong with greed? It is man's greatest motivator, and is, in and of itself, ethically pure. It is because of our own "greed" that we complain, or seek out the sort of justice that the OP seeks.

I don't think greed is Infograme's problem. I think their problem is the opposite of greed — no, not charity. Charity is the opposite of hate. The opposite of greed is self-loathing. It leads to mediocrity and sloth. Its victims act like water, seeking the path of least resistance.

That's my opinion, anyway.
                    "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatum." — William of Ockham

Comment

WEEEEE ARE THE CHAMPIONS MY FRIEEEEND
                      AND WEEEEEE'LL KEEP ON FIGHTING 'TILL THE EEEND

Go LaRusso

(I provide moral support).

BTW can we get the LE in other countries except USA and Canada? Anyone knows?

Comment

i agree with kaak...its a matter of principle.....
                        Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

Only if you pay to get it shipped to where-ever you did...I did...and it EVENTUALLY arrived...a great game that with patching and add-ons will be even better...

However the designer note was piss-poor...in civ2 and civ1 the manual had a very nice designer note section...

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22

BTW can we get the LE in other countries except USA and Canada? Anyone knows?
                            Yeah, it was released in Australia.

Anyway, keep going with this La Russo. To put in a "designer note" instead of the advertised "designers notes" is an absolute travesty. If what they put in was the "designer note", where was the advertised "signed letter from Sid and Jeff"? I hope this wasn't another case of Sid and Jeff being lazy....most likely though, it is a problem at the publishers end
                            If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a very rich man

Comment

Boy, am I glad what I did a last minute cancel on that LE-version. Actually, I did that only 2-3 days before the official US-release. IF they would have accept foreign pre-bookings, then my LE-version would have cost almost 80 dollars, with transport-fees and taxes included. Twice the prize any ordinary fullprice game bought by local dealers.

I would have find myself wasting 40+ dollars, basically for that tin-box alone. That flimsy poster, the useless & unwanted promotion-CD, and that single page Sid-letter, I simply dont count at all.

Comment

Working...
                              X