Civ3 System Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ3 System Performance

What'd you guys run civ3 on? I'm curious to know the game performance on the different machines out (video cards, processor speeds, and RAM totals are really the only important things), especially scrolling and late in the game.

Thanks.

I've got a 300Mhz celeron, 128Mb ram, and a voodoo3 2000;

Performance is perfectly fine with any thing up to a large map. On a huge map, sixteen civs, I have occasional scrolling issues and long waits later on.
    kmj

Comment

not bad.

the reason I'm asking is because Firaxis pulled one on me a while back on my now gone P133 with Antietam's system requirements. It called for a P90, in actuality it required a 200 for optimal performance.

just checking to see if a 550 MHz processor would work, and for compatability with various video cards. a lot of people I know made it seem like even a massive 1.5 GHz Athlon with 256 RAM and a Ge3 suffered intense slowdown almost non stop while scrolling.

Might be a driver/XP issue, but that's another story. I was mainly concerned with any possible design flaws, and it doesn't look like there are any.

Comment

Well, I've got 500Mhz and 128MB, and it's liveable-with, but only just the right side of annoying.
        yada

Comment

600MHz with 256RAM. Scrolls fine, almost perfect, no problems. Huge Map - waiting for the AI turns are long in Modern Age, but Firaxis stated they were working to address this in the patch.

Comment

lesse

1ghz p3, 768mb, no video card (SiS 630 chip), Win ME

Late on a huge map with about 10 civs left the AI turns are still shorter than they were in some Civ 2 games, probably because less AI moving in the map. Scrolling is almost always good, seldom refresh, but it's slow to get across the whole map without the minimap. (Can you change the scroll speed?)

Overall satisfactory.

Comment

P3 700, with 256 megs of Ram. Voodoo3 3000 video card. 13.6 gig hard drive about 3/4 full- maybe a little more

only speed problems came on a huge map with 16 civs. I quickly realized that it wasn't that much fun on that big of a map, but the turn speed was an influencing factor. I made it the year 1100 A.D. and my turn times were close to a minute- too slow for my impatient ass.

I actually prefer large or standard maps. No significant speed problems on either of those.

Comment

AMD 1 gig
                512 RAM
                Geforce2

It runs well enough, though the larger saved games load slowly and map scrolling can be a bit chunky. Most AI turns are pretty quick.

Comment

i don't think it's a system speed problem, the game just seems to eat whatever spare resources are going(ie, to show more animations or play more tweet, tweet sounds on a fast system), so i don't think it'll make much difference whether you've got a P42000 or a Duron 800 on a geforce32mx and128mb of ram,i've tried both with different progams running in the background to up the workload but it seemed pretty much all the same

Comment

P2 300
                    386MB ram
                    Voodoo 3 2000

No performance problem on pre-modern age..no scrolling problem but the advisor screen often hang up for 5 or 6 sec in modern age

Comment

P3 700, with 256 megs of Ram. Voodoo3 3000 video card. 13.6 gig hard drive about 3/4 full- maybe a little more

only speed problems came on a huge map with 16 civs. I quickly realized that it wasn't that much fun on that big of a map, but the turn speed was an influencing factor. I made it the year 1100 A.D. and my turn times were close to a minute- too slow for my impatient ass.
                      hm - 256 RAM and a fast P3 didn't translate into speedy gameplay? are you running anything in the background, or windows XP with settings fully charged?

besides that, looks like system reqs didn't disappoint as many people as was predicted.

Comment

running win 98.

nothing in the background. although occasionally I leave audiogalaxy on

I only had the speed problems on the huge map with 16 civs. and they don't seem as bad as some of the problems I heard of.

Comment

Windows 2000
                          AMD 1600+XP
                          512 RAM
                          TNT2 Ultra (I know, I know. I'll be upgrading soon)

Game runs just fine. I guess there is that scrolling delay but that isn't a big deal.

Comment

p3 800 something, 380 and change mb of ram, 32mb radeon...

the game runs fine w/o any speed problems. I concur that on huge/large maps, AI turns will take a while, but it's not unacceptable.

I've noticed though that alot of people who have posted speed problems are using winME or XP. I'm using win2k (a great os) and things do run smoothly.

Comment

Greetings -

1.4Ghz, GeForce 3, 512 mb RDRAM, Soundblaster Platinum w/ Klpsch speakers........

System is configured for gaming and runs Windows 98 w/ 96% resources free after startup.

Game plays fine until later stages of huge maps w/ 16 civs. Like everyone else has said it does. No issues other than that, it plays like a champ.

On a side bar about the huge map thing..... I read in another thread about a guy who bought the espionage for all races units and watched their turns. Like him, I have done the same, and completely concur that this slow down appears to be related to resource utilization by the program in correcting, interrupting, and implementing the trade network. I've watched their unit movement, it is virtually instant, but the game hangs when one of their units pillages a hex, whacks a town, etc........ I have the same problem when one of my cities builds a new harbor or airport, or I pillage an opponents hex with a unit. At these times, the game takes 5 to 10 minutes in actually implementing the action before it goes on to allow me to finish the rest of my turn. I just quit playing a game to wait for the patch that supposedly will fix this problem. I was in 1916, turns were taking 15-25 minutes to run, longer turns were when more races were at war. Once again, though, the patch is supposed to fix this.

I can't wait for it, I just like the huge maps........

Yours -

Lord Khang
                              Imperial Klingon High Command
                              IKV DreadKnight

Comment

Working...
                              X