New resources/luxuries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New resources/luxuries

I was thinking, I'd like to see more diverse luxuries with fewer of each. This makes trade more important, and I think keeps Civs more likely to trade than always war. Can the editor handle additions of new luxuries?

Some good luxuries I'm thinking of:

Coffee
    Tobacco
    Sugar

These are three that are both historical and accurate, and could really make resource trading more dynamic. Any thoughts on others? Please, don't just spam me with products. For instance, SPAM is not a resource...

I don't like spam...

Venger

How bout these:

Luxuries:

Rare Woods
    Tea
    Opium
    Exotic Flowers

Strategic Resources:

Quicksilver
    Whale Blubber

Comment

For those interested: There is a resources mod in the "Civ3 files" forum that adds copper, nickle and others.

If you ask me, we should add:
      Bonus:
      Salt

Luxury:
      Resin
      Slaves
      Marble

Strategic:
      Medical Plants (Strategic for Longvity or something; if not strategic: Luxury)
      "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
      "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

I don't trust Mods much...
        maybe because they change some stuff but noth very well?
        Like is it added in the science tech tree?
        But then I'm asking or reading in the wrong thread

Comment

Just a thought:
          What happens with the marketplace if you add more luxury resources, do the 9th luxury resource give 5 happy faces or?

Comment

Originally posted by Morkul
            Just a thought:
            What happens with the marketplace if you add more luxury resources, do the 9th luxury resource give 5 happy faces or?

Comment

Originally posted by Morkul
              Just a thought:

are there more then 9?!
              ignore my previous post, keyboard was doing crazy

Comment

No there is 8th luxury resources in the game but if you add one you get a 9th luxury resource. And what do that 9th luxury resource generate at the marketplace?

Comment

How 'bout...

...cannabis plants. That would make a lot of people (including me) happy.

Comment

Project Leader of Civiliza, an Alternative Civilization game based on Civ 2.

Comment

Not that I don't like the idea of more resource types, but I think there will be some practical difficulties in implementing them.

The city display screen has a luxury box and I think it can only display a max of 8 resources. Also, how many happy faces should you get for the 9th luxury and beyond? Can the present AI handle that?

My point: it probably won't happen.

However, I do think they may want to consider replacing some ancient resource with more modern ones. Say, when tech x is discovered, people no longer demand stuff like ivory (ecology maybe?), and start to demand suger or some other modern product. But then there is the problem of some civs have that tech and some civs don't

Comment

I think that the luxury box in the city screen can have a scrollbar. I think there are enough luxury resources. I don't think that the resources system is really something that needs changing, unless you want to rename some of them.
                        Never underestimate the healing powers of custard.

Comment

Okay, so far I've seen some examples that may have some legs - tea and opium, although was tea highly trafficked outside the British Empire? Anyways, slaves are already in the game and whale blubber is there as well, although I'm not sure what I could strategically build with whale blubber, and I'm not sure I want to know...

Tea and coffee may be redundant - which should we choose?

Opium - not sure if it makes the cut. Anything like it that we're overlooking? And no, I don't want drug trafficking in the game...

Venger

Comment

How 'bout cotton?

Comment

Working...
                            X