Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Please fix the easy exploits / Teach the AI diplomats

Originally posted by Espejo
    1. Lumberjacking: Please, raise the bonus to 15 shields and make it that it takes at least 10 times longer to replant forests.
    While I agree with raising the bonus, I think it would be more realistic if certain worker actions (specifically planting forests) took a minimum amount of time (say 10 turns), regardless of the number of workers assigned to the task. Now I can see why a large number of workers could clear a forest in 1 turn, but even 100 workers shouldn't be able to replant that forest in a single turn.

John

Comment

1. Ability to "Wake all" units of a certain type, much like upgrade all, so when you mobilize for war you don't need to activate every single tank you own.

2. Subs SHOULD be able to carry the cruise missile, the missile has a pitiful range as well (if it's possible to shoot them over an entire nation into Afganistan, they certainly should have a larger range than 3)

3. We should be able to put down a revolt, a bunch of hardened soldiers are going to up and disband just because an opposing nations neightboring town has a church. It could be an act of war against the other nation, but the way it works now is ridiculous.

4. Nuclear missiles should be more devastating.

5. Boats need to have more movement. I can drive a tank entirely accross a continent in one turn provided I have railroads, yet a ship would take 10 years to make the same trip. On a huge map, by the time you get naval assault forces to an opposing continent, they're generallly already outdated.

6. Forts need to count as a zone of influence. If you build a fort and occupy it, and another civ builds a city next to it, you should not be the one committing the "act of war".

7. Colonies need a zone of influence, a colony with troops stationed in it should not be instantly disbanded because an opponent build a city next to it. With this being the case, it's always better to build a city than a colony on the resource.

8. Ironclads are too powerful. Shortly after the frigate/man0war/gallen is discovered they become outdated. In reality ironclads were gawky slow and prone to sinking, not the bastions of the sea they are in the game. Additionally, steam power and railroads were discovered long before iron clads were ever made. Either make them weaker or require a later advance to build.

9. New bomber. They need a long range bomber to compliment the jet fighter, before the stealth bomber.

10. Drafting. The best draftable unit should be stock infantry. Mechanized infantry should have to be built.

12. Radar artillery should have more than 1 movement point. Heck they have wheels in the picture.

13. SAMs and coastal fortresses need to alert us when they're doing something, OR if they do already do that, they should DO something.

14. More bombardment messages. Often I'll bombard and get no message, I'm not sure if it failed or what it may have done.

15. The computer ought to be able to judge the locational value of a colony. I.E. not building one in the middle of a desert just because there is an open spot.

16. Workers need to work faster, I don't mean get the job done faster, but not eat up 2 minutes of my turn running around.

Comment

Originally posted by TrailerParkJawa
        2.) odd AI reactions. I was in a world wide battle, everyone attacked the french and me. we were allies. after 20 years
        the french decided the agreement was no longer needed. HUH ?
        we were both still being attacked by the rest of the world.
        The AI won't enter a pact with anyone if they are currently at war, even if they are fighting the same people. This allows them to make peace without being dragged back in the second someone bombards your coastline etc. The same thing works to your advantage if you want to stop fighting.
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

Along the lines of city defection, give us an indication of War Weariness. I'd like to see a thermometer-like display but I'd be happy with the city advisor simply saying something now and then.

Comment

Fix Espionage Prices!!

Espionage costs WAY too much. 5000 gold to steal a tech... or you could just buy it for a lot less than that. 4000 to destroy a building? is that really worth it?

Foreign Propaganda not allowed against a Democracy?

It sure seems that freedom of information also makes freedom of disinformation easier.

Comment

Monoriu, I agree with pretty much all of your points...

My additions:

THE LITTLE THINGS: Because aren't these really what make a game fun? I mean... who doesn't miss wonder movies or the interactive high council... that was actually FUN.

Wonder Movies- I know I'll probably turn them off by the third or fourth time, but come ON firaxis, put in a little effort!

Better Advisors- If the current set aren't the most boring, inneffectual pieces of gray matter ever put on a computer screen, shoot me where I stand.

Sim City Type Stuff: Newspapers, sports teams, etc, Instead of saying its always "We love the King Day" (****ing lame) just make some stuff up, i.e. "Your city, because of its high culture, has produced a pop rock band that will be touring the world during the next ten years - National Culture Bonus +10 Happiness Bonus +1"

Come on, make it seem like you wanted to make this game. Right now... I don't know... it lacks personality.
              My Message Board:http://www.naughtybooth.com
              Completely un-civ related, but still fun.

Comment

Here's my list. I want a lot of things others do, such as stack movement and fixes for corruption and air combat bugs, but here I only list the things I didn't see elsewhere.

The AI should weight gold equally on either side. That is, the AI should consider a trade of X for Y as equivalent to a trade of X plus Z gold for Y plus Z gold. If you ask to trade just X gold for Y gold, the AI can remonstrate you for wasting its time with a silly trade, which is fine with me.

There's a bug where if you rush-buy a worker, it's a barbarian, with a funny name in the lower-right display. Should be easy to fix. I'm not sure what happens if you join that worker back to a city; it might crash.

If you're in an advisor screen, then Alt-Tab to another app, then click the mouse on the X in the advisor screen to bring Civ3 back to the front, Civ3 will sometimes apparently think you're still in the advisor screen, but won't allow you to do anything else, including quit. (I had to Ctrl-Alt-Del out and restart the program.)

Corruption does indeed seem a bit out of hand. My suggestions for alleviation, which I haven't seen elsewhere:
                - roads and rails to the capital (easier to reach the backwoods);
                - communication techs such as Radio, Television, Internet (get the message out better);
                - police stations (more law = less crime);
                - high culture in that city (prouder people are more productive - I suspect this is already figured in).
                Democracy and courthouses should have at least some noticeable effect in outlying towns, even if it's a matter of decreasing corruption from 90% to 80%. Unstoppable corruption is probably okay in outlying towns once you control over 50-60% the map, but not before; otherwise, conquest and domination victories are simply impossible to accomplish. (They should certainly be extremely hard.)

Allow army units to be upgraded. Downside: army has to be in a town, and can't move until next turn.

If your city reverts, any units inside should have a chance to be kicked out onto your land, highly damaged. If you lose a few, too, that's fine.

When giving a worker build-road-to-square orders, I'd like to see the path it would take.

Be able to coerce a nation into cleaning up its pollution via diplomacy. (For example, a trade embargo until # of polluted squares decreases from X to Y.)

Allow more units, techs, civs, resources, terrain types, governments, etc. to be added to the game files, rather than having to replace what's there. I'd like the option of 25 civs, 80 techs, and 100 unit types in theory. Not to mention more than four music tracks per era. (Disregard if this is already possible; for all I know, it is.)

I'd like a colored bar indicating who's taking their turn. However, I would leave it uncolored for random, unvisited civs. I like not knowing who I'm up against until I meet them.

It's fine with me if a galley can occasionally sink a battleship, as long as it's very rare. A raft scuttled a destroyer in real life, after all. A cruise missile can miss a tank.
                gamma, aka BuddyPharaoh

Comment

With regard to Aurochs asking for a "next unit" button - that long pause has nothing to do with Civ3 figuring out a unit has used up its movement, I'm sure. My theory is that it has to do with the pathfinding algorithm.

In order for you to be able to see how many turns it will take to reach a given square, and do it as fast as you can move the mouse, the game has to cache a matrix of values, possibly as big as the number of squares on the map, squared. For instance, if the map is 64x64, that's 4096 squares, possibly requiring a matrix of over 16 million values. (I do a similar thing involving graph structures in a database. It might actually be on the order of 8 million, since it's symmetric.)

When you do something that changes the road/rail structure, or alters the right-of-passage agreements, that cache has to be updated, possibly requiring thousands of values to be recomputed, and requiring millions of matrix values to be accessed. You might also notice similar delays when pillaging, or when building a road or rail. (There seems to be shortcut algorithm for adding a single road or rail.)
                  gamma, aka BuddyPharaoh

Comment

It seems everything was touched on but one---

How about a zoom feature in the editor.

Id like to be able to zoom out and see the whole world that Im building.

It would be nice in the game as well.
                    Die-Bin Laden-die

Comment

Re: Re: Please fix the easy exploits / Teach the AI diplomats

Originally posted by jklame

While I agree with raising the bonus, I think it would be more realistic if certain worker actions (specifically planting forests) took a minimum amount of time (say 10 turns), regardless of the number of workers assigned to the task. Now I can see why a large number of workers could clear a forest in 1 turn, but even 100 workers shouldn't be able to replant that forest in a single turn.

John

I could live with any solution as long as it is simply not cost effective to lumberjack. The decision should be between getting a short term bonus or a long long time to replant forests.
                      Examples in history should be France , Spain, Itally, England countrys which cutted down their natural forests, Spain for example to bulid their famous armada and discovered afterwards that is really hard to replant them.

Comment

1. Assisting strategic partners with military units, without being directly involved. "Here, take this unit for twenty turns."

2. Hiring out your services. "Hey, while your twenty workers are marching through my land, do you think you could make a railroad on your way?"

3. Giving away/selling units: "You guys are valuable allies, I want to help you in your current war ... take these artillery units and bombers"

4. Strategic locations: Listen, I'd like to use one of your cities for my bombing runs ... Can I park my planes there?

5. Being able to move THROUGH civs you have a right of passage with.

6. Building a neigbors infrastructure: Listen, I need to get over there real quick, can I build a railroad through your land? You can have it after the war.
                        Orange and Tangerine Juice. More mellow than an orange, more orangy than a tangerine. It's alot like me, but without all the pulp.

~~ Shamelessly stolen from someone with talent.

Comment

GROUPING UNIT: I'm tired of moving 12 units of artillery and riflemen individually across the map. I'd like to be able to group units together - not an army with army bonuses, just a logical group for movement.

WAYPOINTS: Pick the path for a unit/group to follow.

MUSTER POINTS: Pick a location for a unit to move to once built by a city. *THAT* would save me some micro-ass-management.
                          Orange and Tangerine Juice. More mellow than an orange, more orangy than a tangerine. It's alot like me, but without all the pulp.

Comment

MANHATTEN (sp?) PROJECT: Should *NOT* give the bloody world nuclear capability. It should be a small wonder researched and developed on a per nation basis.

Comment

9. Key board shortcuts need a revamp, some of them are too complex or too anti-intuitive.
                              Keybopard shortcuts should be CONFIGURABLE. No reason why they're not right now. Shoddy.

Comment

Dont want corruption changed. Think design decision was correct. But this should have been highlighted in the manual to warn people. The challenge would then be see if you can conquer the world with this.
                                Dont want tanks to always win against weaker units. The odd random result is no bad thing. People complain, but wars like that.

Biggest hangup is some aspects of the interface.

1.) Wish there were more buttons and less features available only through keypad. CTRL-SHIFT-E for planting a spy for example. Why cant this just be a button on the foreign minister screen.

2.) Biggest bugbear the advisors in particular the trade advisor. He's not totally useless but ... Dont want to know about connected citys only the exceptions.
                                Would like a simple matrix. Resources across top. Countries down side. Entrys can be : I buy from, they buy from me, they would like to buy, they have for sale and nil. When you click on the entry it gives its value and the remaining duration. THAT WOULD BE USEFUL. Conversely think science advisor is good.

Comment

Working...
                                X