What is REXing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is REXing?

I wasn't into civ2 as much as I am not into civ3. So could someone please explain what is rexing?

Kaesar

REX is Lawrence of Arabia's clever little acronym for Rapid Early Expansion, because it sounds better than REE, I suppose.

What this theoretically entails is AI-like mad rushing for settlers early in the game, with a point (undefined) where the expansion stops and development begins.

-Sev

Comment

thanks, guess that's what i've been doing all along.
      i'm playing monarch difficulty and has been staying ahead the whole game
      taught the ai a few lessons when it decided to attack me without warning

Comment

the 4 Xs.. eXploration eXpansion eXtermination (whats the fourth?)

anyway, since "ex" is the same as "x" and sounds cooler, for the sake of style and economy, x is the preferred acronym.

Comment

XXXX ? Too bad the Australians aren't in the game !

I think REX is the only option now, the restriction on size 12 cities until the Industrial Age means you need lots of them instead, and if you don't get that territory it'll be swallowed up by the AI civs.

I'm already finding the game too linear, REX seems to be the only viable option, it's going to be a swine playing on islands.
          xane

Comment

One alternative is to go for cultural dominance so that the AI does all the hard work producing settlers for you to peacefully absorb into your empire. The drawback is that you don't get to choose the city placement.
            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
            H.Poincaré

Comment

Originally posted by Altuar
              the 4 Xs.. eXploration eXpansion eXtermination (whats the fourth?)

anyway, since "ex" is the same as "x" and sounds cooler, for the sake of style and economy, x is the preferred acronym.
              eXploitation, of course.
              Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
              ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Originally posted by xane
                I'm already finding the game too linear, REX seems to be the only viable option, it's going to be a swine playing on islands.
                I have to agree. It's becoming too linear.
                "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

OK --now-- what is ISCing?
                  Die-Bin Laden-die

Comment

Infinite City Sleaze
                    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master" - Commissioner Pravin Lal.

Comment

To me, the big negative aspect of REXing is that civs begin cities in deserts and other inhospitable locations just because its a land grab. They know that resourses may spring up there later.

I don't have the game. At what rate do these cities in poor locations grow? In my opinion it should be really difficult for a city to last in such places, but from what I've read or seen on these forums, its not.

Comment

Infinite City Sleaze

Still not Quite clear
                        Die-Bin Laden-die

Comment

Originally posted by Eli
                          Infinite City Sleaze
                          Some people prefer the S to mean Strategy.. However, I'm not one of them. I only used this method once. Not for me as I like giant cities not a whole bunch of small ones.

ICS= build as many cities as you can as close together as you can....Right?
                          "To live again, to be.........again" Captain Kirk in some Star Trek Episode. (The one with the bad guy named Henok)
                          "One day you may have to think for yourself and heaven help us all when that time comes" Some condescending jerk.

Comment

Working...
                          X