Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starting positions... How ridiculos can that get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting positions... How ridiculos can that get?

Well, just 2 examples. Both normal size maps.

1) 5 Civs. The map has 2 huge continents. One (bigger) continent is empty, all 5 are on the other one
    2) 8 Civs, "archipelago" (it still has rather huge land masses often...). 4 of 8 civs start on an island, which can only hold 4 cities without tile overlapping . Suddenly I find being Aztecs a heavenly blessing, and happily destroy all 3 other ones with Jaguar Warriors inside 20 turns. Other 3 civs - one on a huge land mass alone, rest 2 on the moderate sized island. A lot of empty decent sized land too...

Looks like previous versions had less randomity in starting positions for the civs ...

Re: Starting positions... How ridiculos can that get?

Originally posted by G.A
    Well, just 2 examples. Both normal size maps.

1) 5 Civs. The map has 2 huge continents. One (bigger) continent is empty, all 5 are on the other one
    That sounds fun - It'd be a race to colonize the other continent.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Ridiculous is playing on the large map of Earth with 8 civs, 6 others start in Asia and Africa, 1 in Australia, none in Europe or North America and myself in South America (as France).

I currently have all of S America and cities up the N American coast to Canada and I haven't met another civ yet! When I do the retire option to see the replay, things do seem kind of fierce in Asia and Africa.
      Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
      http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

At least the AI makes an effort to send settlers out in ships and colonize other islands and continents.

Comment

I am happy with the current degree of randomization.

Had they tried to aim at 'equal starting positions', this would be pretty boring and predictable. As it is, you never know what to expect.
          Now, if I ask myself: Who profits from a War against Iraq?, the answer is: Israel. -Prof. Rudolf Burger, Austrian Academy of Arts

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.

Comment

I expected to start in a mass expanse of artic tundra...and guess what happend.
            Im sorry Mr Civ Franchise, Civ3 was DOA

Comment

Re: Re: Starting positions... How ridiculos can that get?

Originally posted by Osweld

That sounds fun - It'd be a race to colonize the other continent.
              It actually was fun. Especially as that continent was actually owned by Barbarians. There were about hundred of their horsemen roaming around it

Comment

My only complaint is that there shouldn't be any starting in decidedly hostile terrain- on a mountain, or surrounded by jungle for example (both of which have occured).

Comment

Crappy starting position

So far every game I've played (except for the tourny) I've had an crappy starting position. Oh, and I play on regent.

Me leaving work ----->
                  "Decadent Western Infidel On Board"
                  "Even Hell Has It's Heroes"

Comment

i didn't think it was possible to start on a mountain...hill yes all the time...mountains..never seen it
                    Boston Red Sox are 2004 World Series Champions!

Comment

My apologies and a clarification: on a hill, surrounded by mountians.

Comment

Working...
                      X